Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

What is this piece?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 04:08 PM
VanNoob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is this piece?

Hi all!

New here, been lurking for a while here and have found so much of what y'all post so helpful, so thanks!

Husband and I recently bought a 96 Ram Van b2500, high on miles, but seems to be running well so far. We replaced the idle air control valve, did a transmission fluid, filter and gasket change, and got the AC system working again.

What we're trying to tackle now: The exhaust has a nasty gasoline smell coming from it. When driving, if we let go of the accelerator it feels like the engine wants to stall, it kinda sputters. The IAC valve fixed much of our problems in the beginning, but we started noticing this sputtering while driving. There's a weird high-pitched whistle coming from the back of the van, we think the muffler or tailpipe, may or may not be related. And, we noticed that this piece (see pics) was pretty dirty and clogged up. It's connected to a tube which goes to the air filter, and the air filter itself was specially dirty on the side connected to this piece.

Anyone can tell us what this piece is? Inside, it looks like there're multiple holes and what looks like a sponge. We guess it's acting like some kind of filter.

Thank you!!

P.S. My SO is the one doing the repairs, I just google things, so sorry in advance if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about

Old 03-02-2021, 10:32 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

It's called a breather, or breather filter. The PCV system draws air through the crankcase to remove unburn hydrocarbons. For that to happen air has to be able to get back in and that's where the breather comes in. It is supposed to connect to the air filter housing so that filtered air is drawn into the crankcase, this reduces the chance of dirt being drawn in and causing added wear to the engine.

The following users liked this post:
VanNoob (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

If you are seeing residue where that hose connects to the filter housing, time to replace the PCV valve. Get one from the dealer, they are actually the correct flow rate.

VanNoob (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 11:06 AM
VanNoob

Good to know! We popped it out and cleaned it a bit, it didn't look too gunked up. Rattled when shook. Would you still say it's time to change it?

Old 03-02-2021, 11:07 AM
VanNoob

Thank you both! @alloro that makes sense, and fits with why that side of the filter was so dirty. Do you think this has something to do with the gasoline smell?

Old 03-02-2021, 11:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

If you don't know the last time the PCV was replaced, it's time for a new one.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:23 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by VanNoob
Do you think this has something to do with the gasoline smell?
No, a gasoline smell from the exhaust is due to raw fuel leaking into it. You could have a misfiring spark plug or a fuel injector that is stuck open.

VanNoob (03-12-2021)

Quick Reply: What is this piece?