Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Front Dome Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 01:38 PM
CERJR29072
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Dome Light Problem

My 2003 1500 Ram Van's front dome light quit working after it started to 'flicker' for a few days. The 'flickering' only happened when the driver's door was opened. I assumed that it was the bulb going bad, but after replacing the bulb, it still doesn't work. I pulled the fixture out to find that the base had been hot at some point by the darkened plastic.

I put my voltmeter on each lead in the plug, but neither had voltage when I tried to bring them all on with the light switch on the dash. After verifying that the plug wasn’t getting voltage, I tested both wires to a good ground, but neither showed continuity.

When this problem first started, the dome lights wouldn’t come on with the driver’s side door, but would with all the others as well as with the dash panel switch. Eventually I got them to work with the driver’s side door after sticking an air hose in and blowing out any dust/debris that it might dislodge, then spraying some WD-40 in there in a effort to lubricate the switch. After a couple of weeks, the driver’s side door started to work again.

Does anyone here have a wiring diagram of the dome lighting circuits? If I can get one, I’m sure that I can figure out where I’m losing my voltage, and why even the dash panel switch won’t bring on the front light.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:30 AM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the dome light works by switching ground, not the positive lead. I still think your problem is in that door mechanism. They are a trouble spot.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:24 PM
CERJR29072

Thanks for your reply.

I'd agree except for the fact that that door switch does still bring on the rear cargo light, but not the front dome light.

The dome light fails to come on with any of the door switches, or the headlight switch. Agreed that they are 'switched' via the ground, thus my questioning about a wiring diagram so I can trace back the wiring from the dome to each connection/power source to see where I'm losing power.

Thanks again,
Charlie

Old 07-05-2021, 07:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Try here for wiring diagrams.

The following users liked this post:
RubyVanner (08-04-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 08:57 AM
CERJR29072

THANKS!

I believe that I can resolve my issue with that!

Charlie

Old 07-05-2021, 08:23 PM
CERJR29072

Just wanted to give you an update...after looking over the wiring diagram and locating the common power connection that was listed, I decided that I wasn't going to remove the dash panel/s just to get the dome light working again.

I fished another pair of leads over the headliner back to the rear cargo light and just paralleled them to its power source. All is working well again.

Thanks so much for the link, I've bookmarked it for future reference!
Charlie

Quick Reply: Front Dome Light Problem