Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

AC Blower not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 10:14 AM
RubyVanner
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AC Blower not working - not resistor or fuse

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram Van 1500 conversion. I recently had to replace my alternator fuse to get my van to start, and after I did I noticed the blower was not working. So I did the following:

Replaced the 50amp blower motor fuse and the 2amp starter AC fuse
Replaced the heater blower resistor
Replaced the ac selector switch
Checked and cleaned the blower motor connection, and it looked okay for 20+yo wires
and the blower still doesn't work. I am not agile enough to replace the blower motor itself so I was wondering if there was anything else I could try first.

Also when I opened the dash to replace the ac selector switch, I saw a blue electrical connection not plugged into anything. I couldn't see anything to plug it into. I don't know if it is related to the blower or not. I am going to try to attach a picture.

Behind the dash ac controls of Dodge Ram Van 1500. What is this blue connector and what is it supposed to plug into?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by RubyVanner; 07-27-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:30 AM
RubyVanner
Rookie
Default Followup

I have not touched the relay, and I have not touched the ignition switch. Is that worth trying or not a likely cause?

Old 07-28-2021, 07:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check and see if you are getting power TO the blower motor, if you are, verify the switch is providing a ground path.

The following users liked this post:
RubyVanner (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:42 AM
RubyVanner
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check and see if you are getting power TO the blower motor, if you are, verify the switch is providing a ground path.
Thank you. I am a newbie to electrical work and am now trying to figure out how to do that. When I search for it, I get a bunch of ways to test the blower itself and not the actual wiring harness to the blower motor. Is it just as simple as putting leads into the connecting cord and checking for amperage and resistance with a multimeter? I don't want to blow myself or the van up lol.
​​​​

Old 07-29-2021, 10:53 AM
RubyVanner
Rookie
Default Followup #2

Okay, once I figured out it is much easier to remove the lower bolts to the blower motor from UNDER the car, I think I can remove it and test it with a multimeter to see it it's bad (if it isn't already apparent it is when I remove it). I will do that once the new one I ordered arrives and I can immediately replace it if that's the case.

So if that doesn't fix it, it is either the switch wiring per the previous response, the wiring harness to blower, or the relay?

Old 07-30-2021, 12:53 PM
RubyVanner
Rookie
Default Success!

So I haven't figured out multimeters yet, so I took the brand new blower and just plugged it into the wiring harness without fully installing it, testing the power connection as suggested by default. It works great, on all the positions of the switch. Thank you for the tip, I would have just swapped it without testing it first. So all I gotta do is swap out the blower motor, which I think I can do.

I will just take out the two bolts of the old blower from underneath the van, then the top bolt from above (under the hood) to remove it Put in new blower and top bolt in from under hood, then crawl back under the van to do the last two bolts. I am so stoked I will be able to fix this myself, even if I had to take the long way to get there.

The following users liked this post:
Van Zeppelin (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 12:36 AM
Van Zeppelin
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats to you Ruby
Should be a Michelob Moment after its done, maybe a cigar too.

Quick Reply: AC Blower not working