Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Key Won't Turn Van Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 01:27 PM
arty4444
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Key Won't Turn Van Off

Hi,
Odd problem. After long trip tried to turn key to shut down 2001 DRV 3500, 5.9L but key won't turn or even come out of cylinder. All other systems "acknowledge" van is in Park, tranny does and "back up beeper also, but NOT the steering wheel. The steering wheel does not lock in place in Park but will turn through whole range. Key will not turn so engine shuts down. I did shut down engine by pulling the fuel pump fuse and disconnected the battery. I did try WD-40.
is my ignition bad within the steering column? I've replaced that before but would like to pin this down before throwing parts at it.
any guidance will be greatly appreciated as always.
Thanks

Old 07-31-2021, 11:22 AM
arty4444
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Temporary Rig;
With no answers I came up with this and posted for anyone in similar situation (engine running in Park, key stuck in Run so can't shut down engine and steering not locked as it should be in Park)
1) pull fuse to fuel pump to shut engine down and push back in after engine stops.
2) Disconnect battery so it doesn't run down while you are parked with key stuck in Run.
3) To restart engine reconnect battery and with wire jump pin #86 of starter relay to battery positive to crank starter. When engine runs remove your wire from bat+ and your ready to go.

If I ever find the "real" fix I'll post it as this must have happened to others.
Thanks.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

I suspect you need to replace the ignition switch. I don't know if the lock cylinder is connected directly to it, of if there is a linkage between the two..... Pull the column covers, and have a look.

Quick Reply: Key Won't Turn Van Off