Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'95 B-150 Sliding Door

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 12:26 AM
shortcelticgirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 B-150 Sliding Door

I am having serious problems with my sliding door on my 1995 B150. The van itself is awesome and runs great. My husband bought it for me as a present. He has been trying to get me into a Honda Odyssey or other some such mini van for years and I told him no way, and that if he bought he a full size van that I would drive that, so he did. I learned to drive in a 1978 Dodge van, so he got me something close. She was purchased at a government auction with less than 34k original miles and is like a time capsule inside, everything works and like I said, she runs great. Its just the damn sliding door! It keeps coming off the tracks, and when I can get it back on the tracks it still doesn't shut all the wall at the top, leaving a gap where water can get in. I replaced the door jam weatherstripping and have had a body shop as well as an independent mechanic adjust it for me several times. But it just keeps coming off the track and not shutting right. So at this point I just don't open it. My friend the mechanic told me he thinks they used to sell conversion kits for these sliding doors because they were such a problem, so many people had issues, the doors were too heavy etc. Has anyone heard of this? If not, is there a way for me to convert this side slider to barn door style? If I find two '95 side doors at a yard and take them to a body shop, can I have those bad boys painted and put on there?

Old 11-09-2021, 07:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Check the bushings and rollers for the side slider. Sounds like some of 'em are worn out.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:12 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice van.

Yea, like said by HeyYou, that has to be your issue. I cant think of anything else unless there is a warped track. Also the swingarm could be falling out of its base...That happened to us on an old VW Campmobile our family owned.

Converting it - well - it could be done, but it will be a lot work. I would think you would have to fabricate some things today as most special things (conversion parts, kits for customization etc.) for our vans are long gone. Also a good tech should be able to tell you almost exactly what is wrong. Many today guess as the craft of automotive engineering is fading.

Last edited by ElkCon; 11-16-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Quick Reply: '95 B-150 Sliding Door