Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Strange noise when backing up cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 10:14 PM
Decodancer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise when backing up cold

Since you guys were so great at solving my last issue, thought I'd pick your brain just one more time. When I back up my van after its been sitting overnight, I sometimes get a grinding noise . Once the van is warmed up, it's fine and it seems to only happen in below freezing temps. It never happens at the mechanics shop of course so he can't diagnose it. It almost sounds like a power steering belt to me? The van had a new transmission installed a year ago so unlikely that it's that. Just want to make sure it's nothing serious. Thanks for your help. 2000 Ram 1500 5.2

Old 02-15-2022, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Can you tell from about where the noise is coming from?? It might be as simple as rust buildup on the rotors being scraped off......

Old 02-15-2022, 11:23 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Tonight back the van in instead of pulling it in forward and see if it does the same thing going forward first thing in the morning. If it does, then like HeyYou said it's just overnight rust build up on the rotors.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:02 PM
Cotten
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too

Originally Posted by Decodancer
Since you guys were so great at solving my last issue, thought I'd pick your brain just one more time. When I back up my van after its been sitting overnight, I sometimes get a grinding noise . Once the van is warmed up, it's fine and it seems to only happen in below freezing temps. It never happens at the mechanics shop of course so he can't diagnose it. It almost sounds like a power steering belt to me? The van had a new transmission installed a year ago so unlikely that it's that. Just want to make sure it's nothing serious. Thanks for your help. 2000 Ram 1500 5.2
I have a 97 dodge B2500 that does that also. I bought it with about 220,000 miles on it. Its currently at 333,000. Put a rebuilt trans at about 240,000. I guess the noise started around 300,000, like a whining in the trans, maybe from higher hydrollic pressure from cold fluid. I do know it likes clean trans fluid and is less noticeable after a change. I don't stress it until it warms up, and like you said, I back in if I know its gonna get really cold, (if I remember to) or give it time to warm up before I set out. Guess this isn't any help, but I would also like to know where that noise comes from. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Strange noise when backing up cold