Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Is the spark plug enclosure adjustable???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 08:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,262 Likes on 3,009 Posts

Autosave does not post them. If the site chokes and dies, you can go right back to the same spot, and click reply, and most of what you typed should still be there. If you navigate away from the page before you actually click "Post", then it's gone. If you don't click Post, it doesn't post.

Old 03-27-2022, 04:52 PM
Mostly Blind
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hey You! Thanks for the posting info....project update

I was finally able to remove the spark plug "tube" , or "heat shield" as I heard them called in a youtube posting. After fighting for 3 days, with the tube on cylinder #4 I finally got that bugger out today!
I am now waiting for Amazon to deliver some liquid wrench which I will use to soak what remains of the spark plug. Once that is removed, I will install the new spark plug wires, reconnect the battery and hope that I know the proper way to let the computer systems relearn what they need to know after the battery has been disconnected for the better part of a month and get Isabella back onto the road.
It has been a longer project than I had anticipated, but then when you don't see well the simplest job can take hours.
Thanks for all of the input,
Richard in Pleasanton, Texas

The following users liked this post:
Akwingnut (11-11-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 08:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,262 Likes on 3,009 Posts

For your first startup, turn the key to 'on', (not start) and count to ten. Don't touch anything, THEN start the truck. PCM should figure things out fairly quickly.

The following users liked this post:
Mostly Blind (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 09:34 AM
Mostly Blind
Amateur

Thanks.
Fingers crossed that she comes back to life and that nothing leaks.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:58 PM
rhennick
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mostly Blind;

I admit I have been kinda holding my breath reading this thread.

Three years ago, when I decided to change the plugs in my recently-acquired 1998 Ram 3500 Van conversion (by Pleasure-Way), I was not expecting what followed.

The two plugs that are hardest to get at in the tunnel both sheared off completely at the base, and might never have been changed in 220,000 km. I had to pull both heads to have the stubs removed. Naturally I then had the heads entirely reconned by a local engine shop, and in the process of reassembly I also replaced the water pump, drivebelt, tensioner pulley, and *all* of the hoses, as well as the coil, plugs, wires, points, rotor and cap that I'd originally planned for. Also repainted the intake manifold, valve covers, etc.... I'm in my 70s and my wife's ex helped with the re-install; he is in his 80s. We did all of this in my severely side-sloped driveway.

Also did the plug wire re-routing according to the TSB (possibly 18-48-98?).

I could have wept when the motor re-started on the second turn of the key. And a month later we were heading out from Toronto to the West Coast and back, 10,000 km. in three weeks, purring like a kitten all the way (yeah, me and the motor both).

Best wishes and happy trails!

Richard in Toronto, Canada

The following 2 users liked this post by rhennick:
Akwingnut (11-11-2022), Mostly Blind (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:39 AM
Mostly Blind
Amateur

Hello, Richard,
Your post has left me feeling great and so positive for today's finale.
Who says we have to lie down and quit just because we have many miles on us and many orbits around our star? I am glad to know that someone else taken on a great project and brought it to a grand conclusion. Well done, sir. Well done.
Today I plan to remove the plug stub from the #4 cylinder....Replace that plug...install the spark plug wires...reinstall serpentine belt....triple check everything.....all while the battery is receiving a bit of a trickle charge....climbing inside...taking a deep breath and going through the starting procedure posted by 'Hey You' and hopefully hearing her engine purr....and having no leaks, at which point I will be doing the 'Happy Dance".
Thanks again for your post and keep sending those positive vibes my way.
Peace to you and yours...grey panthers forever!

Richard in Pleasanton, Texas......The Birthplace of the Cowboy.

Old 04-01-2022, 04:43 AM
Mostly Blind
Amateur

SHE LIVES! !!

Details soon.

Thanks for all of the help.

Quick Reply: Is the spark plug enclosure adjustable???