Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine randomly dies - 97 Dodge b3500 5.9 gas-

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 10:02 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
I see you posted another post about this, You should keep it under this post as others may not know the posts here on it. It sounds like you have multiple issues.
I combined the two threads so that there is only the one thread now.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:05 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Dodgestationwagon
so i kept it in park and gave it gas for a while,took it for a drive and eventually it smoothed itself out? now it is running fine and giving me no stalls or rapid power outages or gauge drops.....i can go out there now and it will start up quick and idle smooth.. is this something that the computer automatically relearns when installing a new ignition switch module?
That happens to me every time I disconnect power and the PCM powers down. So yes it seems to be a relearning the idle thing.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:29 AM
97Dodgestationwagon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
I see you posted another post about this, You should keep it under this post as others may not know the posts here on it. It sounds like you have multiple issues. Get the fuel pressure tested, It wouldn't hurt to drive around with it on there either to see if the pressure drops then comes back up. A bad crank sensor can fail(not giving a signal to the pcm) and will cause the engine to die(while driving). Third the plenum gasket fails on these engines and can cause stumbles/backfires and loss of power. Lastly if all others check out your IAC may be on it's way out. This will cause the engine to die after first start.
So what about the driver door buzzer, and the door lock switches not working? wonder why they stopped working when all of this happened.

Old 07-10-2022, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Door locks should be powered at all times. I think there is a circuit breaker for those..... but, not 100% on that. Do your dome lights come on when you open the doors?

Old 07-10-2022, 07:58 PM
97Dodgestationwagon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Door locks should be powered at all times. I think there is a circuit breaker for those..... but, not 100% on that. Do your dome lights come on when you open the doors?
yes the dome lights come on. the buzzer and door locks went out at the same time, are they both fed off the same power?

Old 07-11-2022, 07:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Not sure. I don't have wiring diagrams for the vans, and if it's a conversion van, all bets are off.

You can try looking them up here, see if its useful.

Quick Reply: Engine randomly dies - 97 Dodge b3500 5.9 gas-