Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Best Brand Fuel Pump 2000 B350

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 06:10 PM
stevebass
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Brand Fuel Pump 2000 B350

Traveling to Alaska and want to carry a spare fuel pump. A few questions:

1. From the images, these things look really big. Is it overkill to carry one with us?

2. If I do drag one around, what's the consensus on the most reliable brand. I see pumps (Autozone, O'Reilly)ranging in price from $143 to $260.

For your amusement, this YouTube video shows how to replace the fuel pump from the inside of the van. Count the number of floorboard holes.

This video shows how to replace the fuel pump on a 1994 Dodge, not an DIY job -- and definitely not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by stevebass; 07-26-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

You would need a fair few tools to do a fuel pump on the side of the road...... and you can bet that the weather wouldn't cooperate. And then there is the little problem of pumps seeming to fail RIGHT after you fill the tank. If you are going on a seriously long road trip, best to have funds for the unexpected..... Carrying around the 'easy to change' stuff isn't a bad plan, but, personally, I wouldn't wanna be doing a fuel pump on the side of the road. You will discover that you don't have one critical tool..... and then you are stuck. A cell phone can be your best friend.

That said, I think both Denso, and Delphi pumps were OEM. Of course, those are the most expensive ones. Some of the 'bargain' brands are absolutely horrible quality, and will last anywhere from five minutes, to a couple months, and then crap out again. So, if you are going to carry one, carry a GOOD one.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:44 PM
stevebass
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You would need a fair few tools to do a fuel pump on the side of the road......
LOL -- no lie.

My plan (after a 50 mile / $500 tow) is to hand the fuel pump to a mechanic and hope he'd know how what to do with it. That's because if I don't carry a spare, my first big fear, besides running into a moose, is to be stuck in East Yachupitz, Alaska, 500 miles away from the nearest parts store, and be told that if I wanted the van back this month, they'd have to fly in the part.

Road trips in a 22 year old vehicle is always an adventure.

Quick Reply: Best Brand Fuel Pump 2000 B350