Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1987 B250 charging issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 09:28 AM
The_dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 B250 charging issues

Been working on the van with my daughter and we thought the charging issue was fixed. Van lost power and stuck in a park with her.

we replaced the battery and new generator. The generator she picked up was 60amp.
we replaced 2 voltage regulators.

When running, with the radio off, fan off, lights off I am seeing voltages around 13 to 13.5.

I am wondering if the 100amp alternator would help.
I am also wondering why the voltage regulator keeps going. Is it the under power alternator creating this?
since I have a few alternators, is there a dual charge bracket I can buy.
Also wondering if the plugs into the regulator is dirty or worn creating contact spikes.

Anyone heard of these issues with these van?
driving up 3hrs with a 100 amp alternator and different make of voltage regulators to rescue her.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2022, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

If you can, get a real Mopar voltage regulator. Some folks have had issues with the aftermarket fellers.

Make sure the VR has a GOOD ground. Running an extra wire from the case to the frame, or battery, really wouldn't hurt.

Alternator size depends a lot on just what options the van has. Lots of options? Go for the bigger alternator.

The following users liked this post:
The_dad (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 12:54 PM
The_dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you can, get a real Mopar voltage regulator. Some folks have had issues with the aftermarket fellers.

Make sure the VR has a GOOD ground. Running an extra wire from the case to the frame, or battery, really wouldn't hurt.

Alternator size depends a lot on just what options the van has. Lots of options? Go for the bigger alternator.
thank you

I sanded the chasis where the voltage regulator sits on. I am arriving on site. See what happens here. Hopefully she can get back on the road to come home

What is the fuse rating for this. A label said starter.

Got the van running. Ran a ground from battery to voltage regulator to alternator

The 100 amp alternator fan was in the way

Last edited by The_dad; 07-28-2022 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 1987 B250 charging issues