Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tune up recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 06:32 PM
stevebass
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up recommendations

I'm about to hit 100,000 on my 2000 B3500. The last service was at 70K. The Dodge service manual says simply:
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Inspect PCV valve, replace if necessary
  • Inspect distributor cap and rotor
  • Inspect auto tension drive belt
  • Lubricate brake booster bellcrank pivot (linkage)
A few questions:

1. Is there anything else I should have done?

2. How can I determine if the cap and rotor needs replacing? The mechanic says if he has to check it he might as well replace it.

3. He's asking $400 just to replace the spark plugs (in big-city Pasadena, California). Does that sound like a reasonable price?

Old 08-24-2022, 07:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

What's his labor rate? Probably takes him longer to get TO the plugs, than it does to actually change them. One of the problems with vans...

To check the distributor cap, you take it off, and look inside..... if the terminals look crusty, replace it, and the rotor.

I would have a long hard look at the plug wires as well. If they are original, it's past time for new ones.

When was the last time the trans was serviced?

Old 08-24-2022, 08:06 PM
stevebass
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's his labor rate? Probably takes him longer to get TO the plugs, than it does to actually change them. One of the problems with vans...
People are getting $120-$150/hour (plus a fricken annoying "shop charge"). The last mechanic -- a mobile guy -- had lots of trouble getting to the two plugs nearest the front. Lots of cursing.

To check the distributor cap, you take it off, and look inside..... if the terminals look crusty, replace it, and the rotor.
I'm not much of a DYI mechanice (oil and filter change). It sounds easy enough to remove the disp cap to look and I remember the rotor (at least on a previous car) was just a drop in. I worry about removing and replacing the ignition wires on the cap might go wrong.

Ignition wires, plugs, and rotor were replaced in 2017 at 70K. The service manual calls for wire replacement at 60K and 120K.

Radiator flush, new thermostat,air filter, transmission fluid, gasket, and filter, all at 100K (I'm at 104K now).

Old 08-24-2022, 09:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Yeah, the 400 bucks probably isn't unreasonable then..... Be sure to stick with standard copper plugs, whatever brand you prefer. These engines don't like the rare-earth fellers.

Firing order is printed on the manifold. (actually, I think it is cast in.... but, its in front of the throttle body, so, might be hard to see in a van.) Number 1 is marked on the cap, rotation is clockwise. 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2. If you switch a couple, you will know IMMEDIATELY the first time it shifts into O/D. (don't ask how I know.)

Did they adjust the bands in the trans as well? (part of the recommended service, not every shop is aware of that though.)

Old 08-25-2022, 08:56 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebass
1. Is there anything else I should have done?
Not to be a smartass but yes, you could've looked up how to do it yourself. If you spent $50 on materials and another $50 on the needed tools you could keep a good $300 in your pocket. Changing spark plugs, or a cap and rotor isn't rocket science. It takes me about an hour to change mine (V6) so I don't see why you couldn't do it in 2-hours or so. That's like paying yourself $150/hour. There's plenty of knowledgeable people around here that could talk you through it if need be.

Quick Reply: Tune up recommendations