Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 Ram Van 3500 - Crank but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 06:43 PM
Flippinsweetdude
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the crank sensor was bad, and now is working properly too. I'm sure that fuel pump is engaging properly, and we only have a spark problem at this point. ( when I crank for a long time, I can get smell of fuel )

To recap where I"m at currently. My ASD relay does engage, the fuel relay does engage. I can hear the fuel pump pressurize the system for those 2 seconds. Both for the initial cycles ( approx 2 seconds ), and the reengage while cranking, then release about 2 seconds after crank.

I do get 12 volts from the ASD to pin one on the ignition coil. That voltage is constant, when the ASD is engaged.

I do not get spark on my tester, from either the ignition coil, nor on any cylinder. I have tried both my new and old ignition coils, and still no spark.

I believe the PCM is not sinking to ground ( Ignition Coil Driver ) either on the PCM side, or we have an open wire from the PCM to pin 2 of the ignition coil. My wire diagram shows pin 2 goes to pin 19 on the PCM. When I measure ohms from pin 2 on ignition coil, to pin 19 on PCM I get 2-3 mega ohms. If I jump from pin to pin ( As I assume I have a broken wire ) then my fuel pump does not engage anymore, and I still don't get spark. This makes me question, if ignition coil pin 2 goes to pin 19 of the PCM ( is my wire diagram wrong ). Or I think I know what pin is 19 and I don't have 19 wrongly. I am using the left most connector ( PCM has 3 huge connections ) as I stand looking at it. The pins are labeled on the front face of the connector, and I'm using the one labeled 19. The center connection does not even have a wire for pin 19, and the rightmost connector reads fully open.

I just found this, and it makes me think I am on the wrong pin on PCM. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...placement.html
It looks like the PCM connection are A on the rightmost, B in center and C on leftmost. C-19 is the fuel relay, and me jumping it would be wrong and explain why the fuel system did not pressurize when I jumped it. So now I need to go to A-7 on the PCM to pin 2 on the ignition coil. Just did that, and it reads 0 ohms, so good news is I don't have a cabling problem after all.

So, either my PCM is not getting some other input or my PCM is not working properly. Are there other inputs to the PCM to say to sink ground for the coil? If I find a similar van in the junk yard, can I swap it? Or best to buy from someone online?

In any event, we have progress, as my Automatic Shutdown relay & fuel pump relay are working as needed, both for initial prime and while cranking. We just have no spark to get the van to turn over. I super appreciate your help. I owe you big time.

Last edited by Flippinsweetdude; 10-29-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Looking at the wiring diagrams here, I see coil driver is pin A7, a gray wire??

Old 10-29-2022, 08:39 PM
Flippinsweetdude

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Looking at the wiring diagrams here, I see coil driver is pin A7, a gray wire??
Correct, it goes to A7 and is gray wire. I do have 0 ohms from PCM to the coil ( so not a bad connection ). This leaves me with few options left. I think the coil driver is gone bad.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep. The pcm primes everything, so, that part is correct, it engages everything when it sees the engine turning, so, it IS seeing the engine turning, and if you smell gas, that implies its firing the injectors... (might be tempted to rent a noid light and test that theory) The wire is good, that leaves..... the PCM.... Unfortunately. Yours will likely need to be flashed for the correct VIN as well, so, keep that in mind.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:29 PM
Flippinsweetdude

Yep. The pcm primes everything, so, that part is correct, it engages everything when it sees the engine turning, so, it IS seeing the engine turning, and if you smell gas, that implies its firing the injectors... (might be tempted to rent a noid light and test that theory) The wire is good, that leaves..... the PCM.... Unfortunately. Yours will likely need to be flashed for the correct VIN as well, so, keep that in mind.

For an update. Had to wait a bit over a week for my PCM to arrive, but it has arrived. I have the van put back together, including putting in the new PCM.

I have spark now, both out of my coil, and to individual plugs. So my PCM was bad for sure ( Sinking the coil to ground. Coil driver chip must have been bad. ).

I was able to start up the van for about 10 seconds, and then it just stopped running. When it was running, everything sounded great, and it was running nice and clean. Now we are back to steady cranking, but not starting.

I've gone through all the checklist :

1. Initial prime is still happening.
2. Both the fuel relay and ignition / ASD relay are working, and reactivate during cranking.
3. Spark is present and healthy during crank.
4. Fuel pump turns back on during crank.
5. Since it did run for a bit, I assume the PCM is all good. ( I got it programmed for my VIN, and we did run for a bit, and I"m still getting spark since replacing the PCM )

To recap, I've replaced Ignition Coil, Crank Sensor, PCM and the ASD relay. So we have progressed, but not quite running. Off to put on my thinking cap of what is my remaining problem.

Edit : Old computer sends signal to fuel injectors ( but no spark ) New computer sends spark, but no fuel injector signal. So don't think the new PCM was programmed right, or has some other problem.

Last edited by Flippinsweetdude; 11-10-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Maybe bad cam position sensor? It's under the distributor cap. It tells the PCM where the engine is at in the firing order... if it loses that, it doesn't know which injector to fire when.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:59 PM
Flippinsweetdude

Maybe bad cam position sensor? It's under the distributor cap. It tells the PCM where the engine is at in the firing order... if it loses that, it doesn't know which injector to fire when.
I swapped back to the old computer, and get injectors to fire ok ( but no spark ). Then put in new PCM, get no injector, but get spark and it runs for few seconds until it runs out of fuel.

Swapped back to old then new, and confirmed my experience. Old computer has no spark, but good injectors. New computer has good spark, but no injector signal.

Maybe i should tape them together, and I"ll have one good computer

Last edited by Flippinsweetdude; 11-10-2022 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's a lotta wire splicing...... I wouldn't have the patience for that.

Call the folks you got the computer from, see if they have any suggestions. Wouldn't be the first time someone got a bad replacement PCM......

Old 01-13-2024, 06:48 PM
crisd
Amateur
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, Flippinsweetdude what was the final outcome?

Old 01-13-2024, 07:02 PM
Flippinsweetdude

I contacted a second company for computer, and that new computer worked great.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram Van 3500 - Crank but won't start