Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 Ram Van 3500 - Crank but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 06:43 PM
99Ram3500Van-5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flippinsweetdude
I contacted a second company for computer, and that new computer worked great.
Hi, @Flippinsweetdude , thank you for all the info, working through and sharing your progress! As far as I can tell I have the exact same issue with a 1999 Dodge Ram 3500 Van - 5.9L. I replaced the computer a couple years back and it ran alright up until recently. Same crank and no-start. Funnily enough this time I tried replacing components that most find issues with; distributor components, ignition coil, camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor. First start after the crankshaft position sensor replacement and it ran the best it has for the 10 years I've owned it..... for 3 days. Then back to crank, no-start.

After reading countless forums about similar vehicle issues, most end up pointing to something in the sensor ground circuit of the PCM that decides to quit. Starting to just think this is just the fate of these vehicles' computers.

Just wondering if you wouldn't mind providing the company you went with for computer replacement?

Again just want to thank you for sharing your efforts, without you and the many others going through diagnostics and sharing their work, we'd all be hopeless.

Much appreciated,
JH

Old 01-16-2024, 08:42 PM
Flippinsweetdude
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first did these folks : https://www.fs1inc.com/

I did a return 6 times, and it was a big pain, as they kept sending me stuff that would have different problems. ( like it would start, but no transmission, or no crank all of a sudden, etc ). After 4 months I gave up.

I give these folks my business, week later PCM showed up, and ran great since : www.carcomputerexchange.com

There reviews are similar, so YMMV on what you get.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Flippinsweetdude
I first did these folks : https://www.fs1inc.com/

I did a return 6 times, and it was a big pain, as they kept sending me stuff that would have different problems. ( like it would start, but no transmission, or no crank all of a sudden, etc ). After 4 months I gave up.

I give these folks my business, week later PCM showed up, and ran great since : www.carcomputerexchange.com

There reviews are similar, so YMMV on what you get.
NONE of the PCM reman folks have a good reputation. CarComputerExchange is right up there on the list of 'shady operators' as well. You got lucky. And, I think that is what it really takes to get a PCM that actually works. Luck.

Why folks feel it is necessary to only buy these things online is a mystery to me. Your local parts stores sell them as well, at similar pricing.... (or, price matching, depending on where you go) Turn around time is significantly less, and if there is a problem, you can talk to an actual human being, face to face.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:25 PM
99Ram3500Van-5.9

Awesome, thank you @Flippinsweetdude ! I'm pretty sure years ago the swap I did was with FS1 and that one was pretty decent for a while. Thank you for the quick response!

Cheers!
JH

Old 01-17-2024, 02:13 PM
99Ram3500Van-5.9

Originally Posted by HeyYou
NONE of the PCM reman folks have a good reputation. CarComputerExchange is right up there on the list of 'shady operators' as well. You got lucky. And, I think that is what it really takes to get a PCM that actually works. Luck.

Why folks feel it is necessary to only buy these things online is a mystery to me. Your local parts stores sell them as well, at similar pricing.... (or, price matching, depending on where you go) Turn around time is significantly less, and if there is a problem, you can talk to an actual human being, face to face.

Hahah yeah I agree luck plays an important part with the reman comps. Any recommendations on the local shops you're talking about? You mean like autozone, advance autoparts, oriellyes etc.?

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2024, 03:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Ram3500Van-5.9
Hahah yeah I agree luck plays an important part with the reman comps. Any recommendations on the local shops you're talking about? You mean like autozone, advance autoparts, oriellyes etc.?

Thanks!
Yep, the big chain auto stores *should* be able to come up with something, already programmed (if necessary) as well. (have you vin handy....)

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram Van 3500 - Crank but won't start