Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine swap from 5.9 to 3.9, is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 07:41 PM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine swap from 5.9 to 3.9, is it possible?

Have a 99 ram van 1500 with the big ole 5.9l v8. I may have a blown head gasket and am thinking about an engine swap.

I don’t need the van to tow like I used to so I am wondering if I can swap for a smaller engine like the 3.9 v6 (or the 5.2 which seems more common). I would prefer the 3.9 because of gas prices, but I think I saw somewhere that it requires the 3.55 axle ratio and I believe I have the 3.92.

Is that true? And I suppose it would be a big job to change it? (I know nothing about changing any of that).

Thx in advance

Also, seems like the 5.2l would be a straight swap I hope?

Old 12-02-2022, 07:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

I don't think you would like the 3.9 in your brick.. erm, Van.... It just doesn't have the power to move all that weight. I am also not sure how much of a gas mileage increase you would see going down in engine size... might not change at all with the 3.9, as you will be working that engine HARD..... I think you would be further ahead just rebuilding what ya got. Save some money, and spend it on the little bit more gas you burn.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:05 PM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional

Thanks HeyYou, I would prefer to do a rebuild, my concern is doesn’t the coolant do internal damage? The van has been like this for a long time, like 5 years I think. I just rarely used it so I would replace coolant when it got too hot.

I worry a rebuild won’t catch all the damage. Though I’m not sure what would get damaged anyway.

I’m bringing it to a mechanic because this is beyond my skill set. What should I ask them to look at to see if the coolant damaged anything?

Also, the 5.2 would be enough, right? I see more of those for sale than the 5.9s?

Thanks again.

Yea she’s a brick but she’s my brick lol

Old 12-02-2022, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you didn't get coolant into the oil, then no real worries. The stock heads are notorious for cracking though, and if it got hot, you can be quite sure they are. Odessa/Clearwater cylinder head service out of Florida off NEW castings, with thicker decks, to avoid that issue. It's generally a better idea than trying to rescue the stock heads, as part of that, is machining the deck, which makes it even thinner..... not a good idea. Can probably get away with doing the top end, and get another couple hundred thousand miles out of it.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:34 PM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional

Ok thanks, unfortunately I’m not in Fla anymore. New Mexico by Las Cruces/El Paso. Anywhere I can get a new head here? Rather pick it up than ship it.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:03 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge_USA_Dude
Have a 99 ram van 1500 with the big ole 5.9l v8. I may have a blown head gasket and am thinking about an engine swap.

I would prefer the 3.9 because of gas prices, but I think I saw somewhere that it requires the 3.55 axle ratio and I believe I have the 3.92.
The 3.9 gets about 13 MPG on a good day. It is also shorter than the 5.8 and requires an ECM for a 6 cylinder instead of an 8. Finally, the vans that came with the 3.9 had 3spd tranny, no OD, simply because it was too much gear for the engine to push. Considering the low MPG gain, if any, and all of the headaches to swap to a 3.9 IMO it is not worth it.

The following users liked this post:
ElkCon (12-04-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 09:05 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge_USA_Dude
Ok thanks, unfortunately I’m not in Fla anymore. New Mexico by Las Cruces/El Paso. Anywhere I can get a new head here? Rather pick it up than ship it.
Get the casting number (not just make, model, year) off the head and do a search on eBay for it. A couple of years back I got a reconditioned head for a few hundred bucks. Some want you to ship you head back some don't, so take a good look around at a few of the listings.

Last edited by alloro; 12-03-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:50 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Drain your engine oil after the van has sat a couple days, or just quick pull the plug and put it back in, any coolant/water that could've gotten into the oil will be on the bottom. If you get oil right away you're good to go and I would just do a top end. If you do get some coolant right away. I'd rebuild the top end change the oil and go

Newer engines glycol in coolant can affect the bearing coatings but something of these vintage I wouldn't worry a bit about coolant in the oil, provided you address the source of it. Wouldn't hurt to run a compression test on the motor before you tear it down, you could gauge how "tired" the engine is but a head gasket job is alot cheaper then a rebuild if the bottom end is solid

Old 12-03-2022, 05:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Coolant in the oil dramatically reduces it's lubrication properties, and will smoke rod and main bearings pretty quick..... If the oil is contaminated, change the bearings......

Old 12-04-2022, 12:59 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
swap to a 3.9 IMO it is not worth it.
agreed

Quick Reply: Engine swap from 5.9 to 3.9, is it possible?