Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

The FNG

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 06:43 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
Here's some closeup pictures of the wheel and the end of the axle. I think that looks more like a wheel adapter than an actual dually axle. What do you think?

I'm wondering if you have a 5 lug axle with an adapter to turn it into an 8 lug. I'd remove the wheels and see what's underneath. I'd also make sure what lug pattern on the front wheels as well as your spare wheel.

Old 01-22-2023, 10:16 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

What rear axle is in it?

Old 01-22-2023, 12:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Likely a 9.25

Old 01-23-2023, 06:50 AM
JuanHuevos
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I'm wondering if you have a 5 lug axle with an adapter to turn it into an 8 lug. I'd remove the wheels and see what's underneath. I'd also make sure what lug pattern on the front wheels as well as your spare wheel.
I didn't have a tool to pop the miniature hub cap thing off on the front, but that plastic piece has 8 faux lugs on it. I'm not sure that means anything though. The van doesn't have a spare. It looks like the mechanism that once held it under the van has been broken. There's just a busted cable hanging down. I'll have to figure that out at some point and might even have to carry 2 spares. Maybe I can mount on on the back door or something.
I'm about to order a bunch of parts and start work on it, I'll dig into it more then.

Originally Posted by Moparite
What rear axle is in it?
I found that cheatsheet someone posted here to decode what rearend it is based on the rear cover. That is very handy and I'll use that to see what's under there. My worry is, if this is a conversion and they stuck a different rear end under there, I'll have to figure out what shocks it uses, rear brakes, etc.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:10 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Going to be fun removing those lug nuts.....

Old 01-24-2023, 08:25 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

Likely a 9.25
Yeah with 8 lugs, If it was a dana 60+ you would see the axle shaft bolts. The 9 1/4 is easy to spot it looks like this.

Old 01-27-2023, 04:50 PM
JuanHuevos

Originally Posted by Moparite
...The 9 1/4 is easy to spot it looks like this.
You guys are right it again!

[/QUOTE]

Old 01-28-2023, 12:03 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
You guys are right it again!

[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's a semi floating axle. You have adapters on the wheels. I don't know whether I'd keep the duals in back since they are on adapters. Then again, it's lasted this long.....

Old 01-29-2023, 11:27 AM
JuanHuevos

Originally Posted by ol' grouch

Yep, that's a semi floating axle. You have adapters on the wheels. I don't know whether I'd keep the duals in back since they are on adapters. Then again, it's lasted this long.....
That helps because now I know that I don't have to go hunt down shocks that aren't the OE part number. Thanks for that. As for the adapters, I've thought about removing them. But it has those fiberglass fenders on the back and no telling how they attached those. Might leave holes behind or whatever. So at this point, I think I'll leave them because like you said, they've lasted this long. I'll just need to carry 2 different spare tires.

Last edited by JuanHuevos; 01-29-2023 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

The one ton trucks use a variety of adapter on the front as well, so it can use the same wheels/tires all the way around. If your front is 8 lug as well, (which it should be...) might wanna look into that, just for convenience sake.

Quick Reply: The FNG