Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmission not going into OD and no torque C lockup

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 11:46 AM
Mudman
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission not going into OD and no torque C lockup

I've gone through the twenty pages under Transmission issues, and didn't find an answer. my 1996 B2500 van isn't going into OD and I don't think the torque converter is locking up either. I had the transmission rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago and had no issues until I replaced the CPU. I didn't notice any issue until I took a long trip and noticed my fuel mileage dropped from around 18 to 13; then I noticed it wasn't going into the higher gear. When a check light finally came up I took it to Auto Z, and the guy said it was the neutral switch,it starts fine, knock wood. He gave me a sheet that also said P1762 Governor pressure sensor offset, P0748 Pressure control solenoid A electrical. When I bought the van many years ago they said they had replaced the transmission. I'm wondering if it was different from the original and that is why the rebuilt CPU doesn't recognize the transmission that is in there now. The # on the transmission is PK521184262634. I've read that there are two transmissions that can be swapped, a 46 and a 44. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone knows a good transmission shop in the Fort Myers area, please recommend them.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,379 Likes on 3,119 Posts

Why did you change the computer? With that part number, I come up with 96-97 transmission..... So, should be correct. Make sure the 8 pin connector is plugged in good, and in good condition. It's obviously partially working, as you get three gears......

Old 03-20-2023, 09:38 PM
Mudman

It was getting hard to start and I found that if I warmed it up first it would work, That fixed it until it quit altogether, and I got one from Computer Exchange. Which 8 pin connector are you talking about?

Old 03-21-2023, 05:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,379 Likes on 3,119 Posts

8 pin connector on the trans. Drivers side, 'bought halfway back. Plugs straight down into the top of the valve body.

Old 03-22-2023, 11:59 AM
Mudman

I'll check it out.. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:44 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Mudman - Im on Pine Island

I have had two PCM failures in the 12 years I've owned my van. Each time I had to send back the first 'remanufactured' PCM for a newly 'remanufactured' one.

Each time it fixed the weird issues I had with a newer 'remanufactured' ECM...just thought youd like to know...

Im originally from St Pete and I know of a couple of real good ones up there...but Id first RMA that ECM for another...

Old 03-22-2023, 03:27 PM
Mudman

The plug looks ok. No broken wires. I couldn't get it apart, and didn't want to put too much pressure on it for fear that it would break. It is 27 years old.

Old 03-22-2023, 03:28 PM
Mudman

I talked with two mechanics and they said they'd start with the computer as that most likely was the first thing they'd suspect also. Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
ElkCon (03-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Transmission not going into OD and no torque C lockup