Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1999 B1500 3.9 L No start Multiple Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 01:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,262 Likes on 3,009 Posts

And less efficient.

Have you checked battery voltage when you run into your no start condition??

Old 04-18-2023, 02:26 PM
Dodgeramvan1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
And less efficient.

Have you checked battery voltage when you run into your no start condition??
yes we've checked the voltage and it has started at 11.3 but i usually charge it to twelve to be sure. I'm thinking it's some thing electrical because the fuel pressure is 45 psi then goes to 50 on crank and injectors are working properly. were getting good spark on the plugs as I've pulled them out of the block and tested them. The only time that what we did seemed to have an immediate affect was when we're checking the wires on the back of the block and messed with them and cleaned them. Since then though when it had the same start issue I unplugged the crankshaft and distributor harnesses and plugged them back in and wiggled some wires the same as we did before and it didn't help. I'm the owner of the van by the way

Old 04-18-2023, 04:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What does it drop to when you are actually cranking the engine???

As I recall, squirting some starting fluid in there would get it to fire, but not run??

Old 04-18-2023, 06:10 PM
Dodgeramvan1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What does it drop to when you are actually cranking the engine???

As I recall, squirting some starting fluid in there would get it to fire, but not run??
it goes from 0 psi then when you put it in auxiliary mode it goes to 45 psi then to 50 when you turn the key and crank it

Old 04-18-2023, 09:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

And it runs fine once it starts.... That is truly a weird one. I'll give ya that.

Gotta be something that screws up when cold, but, warms up fairly quickly. Unfortunately, that describes just about every electric part.... I don't think its cam or crank sensor... I would really suspect coolant temp sensor, but, your scanner shows that reads correct. How about intake air temp? Don't recall if that one was in there or not?

Old 04-19-2023, 06:14 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Just to be thorough, is there a ground bonding wire or strap from the engine to the body or battery?

Old 04-19-2023, 09:17 AM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgeramvan1500
yes we've checked the voltage and it has started at 11.3 but i usually charge it to twelve to be sure. I'm thinking it's some thing electrical because the fuel pressure is 45 psi then goes to 50 on crank and injectors are working properly. were getting good spark on the plugs as I've pulled them out of the block and tested them. The only time that what we did seemed to have an immediate affect was when we're checking the wires on the back of the block and messed with them and cleaned them. Since then though when it had the same start issue I unplugged the crankshaft and distributor harnesses and plugged them back in and wiggled some wires the same as we did before and it didn't help. I'm the owner of the van by the way
That battery voltage is low and I bet it drops even lower when cranking. If it drops too low the eco won't fire the plugs although you say you do say you have spark. A fully charged battery should have at least 12.6 volts.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:09 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffersonracing
That battery voltage is low and I bet it drops even lower when cranking. If it drops too low the eco won't fire the plugs although you say you do say you have spark. A fully charged battery should have at least 12.6 volts.
As long as the voltage is 9V or higher during cranking the plugs will fire.

Quick Reply: 1999 B1500 3.9 L No start Multiple Misfire