Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1995 B2500 Transmission Casing peeling open, options for repair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 09:39 PM
Streetguru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 B2500 Transmission Casing peeling open, options for repair?

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do or how I can repair this? Can I just buy a new casing somewhere or would I have to buy a broken transmission or something for parts? Can I just weld it or seal it some other way for now?

It also looks like it's leaking from a higher up seal as well, where the shaft enters it so maybe it's a bigger issue.

I have most of what I need to jack up the Van and try to remove it myself. I also live in the van, so keeping it at a repair shop may not exactly work...

Old 04-14-2023, 11:38 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That looks to me like the plate in front of the torque converter. That bend at the bottom doesn't mean it's broke. If your concern is the oil then you are talking a rear main seal on the engine or the front pump seal on the transmission. By the color of the oil I would say a rear main seal.

Old 04-15-2023, 12:06 AM
Streetguru

Originally Posted by jeffersonracing
That looks to me like the plate in front of the torque converter. That bend at the bottom doesn't mean it's broke. If your concern is the oil then you are talking a rear main seal on the engine or the front pump seal on the transmission. By the color of the oil I would say a rear main seal.
Yeah, thanks. Someone else pointed out that was just a pan and wasn't important.

I guess I'm lucky it's only a rear main seal, though I still have to tear everything apart on one of my vacations in the future. Just gotta find parts, I know stop leak isn't great to use, but I have some lying around and maybe it'll help me out a bit.

I only drive the van like once a week or every 2 weeks since I simply live in it.

Old 04-15-2023, 10:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Stop leak won't work for a seal on the crank. Parts are moving..... so the stop leak won't bond where it needs to.

Don't know if you can drop the pan without lifting the motor on a Van.... Supposedly, you can on the 2wd trucks... so, maybe?

Old 04-15-2023, 01:44 PM
Streetguru

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Stop leak won't work for a seal on the crank. Parts are moving..... so the stop leak won't bond where it needs to.

Don't know if you can drop the pan without lifting the motor on a Van.... Supposedly, you can on the 2wd trucks... so, maybe?
Man, why can't anything nice every happen to me.

Guess I'll get to have lots of fun in a few months...

Do you guys know of a good source for parts? I might as well replace a bunch of other gaskets and seals while I'm at it right?

Old 04-15-2023, 02:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

The only ones you *really* need are the oil pan gasket, and rear main seal. Probably wouldn't hurt to replace the oil pump while you are in there, it's gotta come out anyway. If you are feelin' really froggy.... Could do the front cover, front main seal, timing chain and gears, waterpump, etc. (Here, let me help you spend some more money. )

Old 04-16-2023, 06:30 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

You can try using non synthetic thicker oil, It may slow it a bit but eventually it will need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: 1995 B2500 Transmission Casing peeling open, options for repair?