Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1987 Dodge Ram B350 V8 360

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 10:19 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by GotCandy
That makes sense, i can definitely check the pressure side. I'd say i only had it running for about 30 seconds so definitely not enough time for the torque converter to kick in. It would be magic if i could get this thing in drive and move it down the driveway! New fuel pump is going in, so we're well on our way to a running engine.

That would be pretty neat!

If the transmission is shot, would i have a chance to purchase a second hand 4x4 version to drop in? That would be the ultimate setup for me.

The main difference between 2 and 4wd transmissions is usually the tail shaft extension is replaced by a transfer case. Very, VERY few 4X4 vans have been built. I've never fooled with them. I don't know if a Tcase will clear the frame.

On pumping pressure up, you have to do that in neutral. Park doesn't do anything but let the engine idle. I suspect from the previous owner saying it was parked because of transmission trouble, it's toast.

Old 05-27-2023, 10:53 PM
GotCandy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been around for the past week and a half but now that i'm back, im still struggling with leaks after the fuel pump swap. At first it was a small leak where i had to swap the hard line over, but i think i may have over-tightened it and caused the hairline crack on the flange that everyone warned me about in the videos i watched. It went from a small drip to a nice trickle so i decided to pull the pump back off to investigate closer.

Anyone know the name or part number so i can source a replacement? Can i just fit a barb and go softline up to the carb since half of it already is?

I suspect i may needed some teflon tape to get a better seal without having to over tighten the fuel line but i didn't see any used with the old one - didn't think i needed any with the new one

Good news is that we are able to get her to turn over by priming the carb with gas and she stays running on her own while i crawl around trying to fix the gas leaks

Old 05-28-2023, 07:30 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 349 Likes on 329 Posts

Cut the damaged flare off and get a double flaring tool and re flare it. If you never flared before practice on a scrap piece before you attempt to make the repair.

Old 05-29-2023, 11:14 AM
GotCandy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Cut the damaged flare off and get a double flaring tool and re flare it. If you never flared before practice on a scrap piece before you attempt to make the repair.
Well, i didn't think i could even do that - but i guess you're right it should be just like any other hard fuel or brake line, right?
I love that this van throws new things my way, off to learn something new! Thank you!

Quick Reply: 1987 Dodge Ram B350 V8 360