Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 b1500 rear door lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 12:30 PM
OregonApe
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 b1500 rear door lock actuator

So the power lock on my single rear door doesn't work. There are two reasons for that. First, the linkage is missing (I found a bent nail at the bottom of the door that I suspect someone was trying to use). Second, the actuator (or solenoid) doesn't actuate. My multimeter confirms voltage from the wiring when I press the fob buttons. Anyone have a part number or a link to an aftermarket replacement? Neither of the numbers on the part came up with much except a single photo of the part from a Japanese website (hell yes, dajiban!) where presumably the guy was asking where to find a replacement.

I need both #3 and #6 as shown here: https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...k~4467251.html I don't think the part numbers they use are official numbers.

However there is no way in hell I'm spending $471 plus shipping just to fix my power lock.

I haven't opened up the original yet to see if I can fix it, but if there is a cheap replacement I will just do that.

Thanks

Old 09-14-2023, 08:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Find one used? Seems they were pretty common. Used from 86-93 Ram pickups, 87-96 Dakota, 86-03 Dodge vans. (drivers side doors in the trucks.)

Old 09-25-2023, 10:04 PM
OregonApe
Amateur

I have had zero luck in finding a replacement. It should be easy given how many models and years this thing was used.

Well I decided to drill out the rivets on the door lock actuator. No signs of corrosion or damage on the inside. I had to take it apart and reassemble to get things moving. I take it back out there and hook it up and it works, kind of. It seems to spin much further than it needs to and then it jams the arm into place. Once it's jammed you have to disassemble to free it up. So either there is supposed to be some internal mechanism to control the travel distance or it needs to be hooked up to the lock rod and then it will only be able to move the arm as far as the lock allows it to. I'm not so sure about that one.

I'll clamp it back together later, mount it, and hook up the rod to it and see if that keeps it from traveling too far up or down. I have my doubts but whatever. If that works then I'll need to find some pop rivets.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Could always bolt it back on too....

Let us know how it works out. You aren't the only one having this issue. My door locks have NEVER worked. The motor runs, but, nothing happens.

Old 09-26-2023, 01:48 PM
OregonApe
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Could always bolt it back on too....

Let us know how it works out. You aren't the only one having this issue. My door locks have NEVER worked. The motor runs, but, nothing happens.
I did sort of bolt it back together, at least with a single bolt just so it couldn't open up on me. I could only find some #8 bolts and they were a little too big, could have used some #6.

Regardless, once I mounted it back onto my door and hooked up the latch link it worked without jamming itself. Without the latch link in place to keep it from travelling too far the motor in the actuator will run until it jams the arm in place which apparently requires it to be disassembled to unjam it (maybe if I used more force it would have come free, but the arm is held in place with a large flathead bolt and it kept camming out).

Now as for why it ended up jammed in the first place, part of the plastic clip that holds the latch link to the lock mechanism seems to have broken which allowed the latch link to fall out of place. I found the latch link lying in the bottom of the door. I'm not sure how I can hold it in place long term. Maybe if I score/notch the end of the link rod I can slip an o ring over it once it is in place in the lock mechanism. Probably hard to picture what I'm talking about without pictures.

If I can find my pop riveter later I'll get this thing reassembled and installed.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I was able to find the cool little clips that hold those on on Amazon. Got 14 of 'em for a few bucks. Of course, I only needed two.....

Old 10-02-2023, 11:58 PM
OregonApe
Amateur

I was having problems with the arm popping out so I cut a notch in it and slipped an o ring into it.

Old 10-03-2023, 07:20 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonApe
I was having problems with the arm popping out so I cut a notch in it and slipped an o ring into it.
Why an O-ring instead of a snap ring? Just curious ...

Old 10-03-2023, 11:12 AM
OregonApe
Amateur

Just because it wasn't worth the trip to the hardware store to get some snap rings. It just needs to hold well enough to keep the arm from sliding out on its own.

Quick Reply: 2000 b1500 rear door lock actuator