Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tire size and speedo - not the usual question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 09:15 PM
HiTop
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire size and speedo - not the usual question

Weird issue with my 97 B2500 van, it has 30/9.50/15 ATs on it which has a 30" diameter. The OEM tire size is 235/75/15 and is a 28.9" diameter. So the tires SHOULD be spinning more slowly and the speedo SHOULD read about 2-3 mph slower than actual but as you probably are guessing, the opposite is happening and my speedometer is reading almost 4-5 mph FASTER than actual when I gauge using my phone GPS speedometer app. So it's acting like I am running smaller tires than OEM when I am actually running larger tires. What the hay?

The only variables I can think of is the rear end which is original but the tranny was rebuilt a few years ago and possibly they didn't rebuild the tranny and just swapped it out for one they had on the shelf that was set up for a different rear end ratio. That's my best guess.

Question being... is there any other reason for this? I can look up the rear end code and order a new speedo gear to match may ratio just to be sure or I can just ignore it but I want to be sure because I want to put smaller tires on it which will make my speedo roll even more incorrectly. I hate the idea of my drivetrain spinning at 90 mph when I am only doing 78 or whatever.

Attached Thumbnails Tire size and speedo - not the usual question-tires.jpg  
Old 01-03-2024, 07:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,379 Likes on 3,119 Posts

Ok, yep, that's a weird one....

Your speedo is driven by the VSS in the tailhousing of the trans. Might have the wrong gear in it, easy to check, pull it out, check the color of the gear, and compare that to the chart on transmissioncenter.net.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:18 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

1. Did you ever have the original tire size on the van and test the accuracy like you did with the larger ones?

2. In the tailpiece of the tranny is a little gear that drives the speedometer sensor. These gears come with different numbers of teeth to adjust for different rear axle ratios and tires sizes. It's possible when the tranny was swapped that this gear was not transferred over. There is a number stamped on the gear which is the number of teeth on it. You have to remove it, see what number is on it, then get the next size or two up.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:39 PM
HiTop
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will assume by the replies that I didn't miss anything and the speedo gear is the culprit as I thought. Thanks for the transmissioncenter.net link.

Last edited by HiTop; 01-03-2024 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,379 Likes on 3,119 Posts

Originally Posted by HiTop
I will assume by the replies that I didn't miss anything and the speedo gear is the culprit as I thought. Thanks for the transmissioncenter.net link.
Best guess without actually laying hands on it.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:53 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 387 Likes on 364 Posts

Love the slots, With the white letters facing out. This is the way it should be!

Quick Reply: Tire size and speedo - not the usual question