Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tune up interval -- what's best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 02:58 PM
stevebass
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up interval -- what's best?

In Sept, 2022, at 100K, I had the van tuned (plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor).

I'm now approaching 130K -- lots of miles in 15 months -- and the van's running fine.

What's the conventional wisdom? Is there any need to do another tuneup so soon?

Old 01-17-2024, 03:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebass
In Sept, 2022, at 100K, I had the van tuned (plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor).

I'm now approaching 130K -- lots of miles in 15 months -- and the van's running fine.

What's the conventional wisdom? Is there any need to do another tuneup so soon?
Pull a couple plugs, see what they look like, go from there.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:09 PM
stevebass
Rookie

I'm going to sound like I'm whining, but I don't have the skills or tools, or, except for Google, the knowledge to evaluate the plugs. I'll see what the mechanic will charge to take a look. (Last time he charged $500 to do the tune-up -- California prices, no doubt.)

Old 01-17-2024, 03:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

I'm going to sound like I'm whining, but I don't have the skills or tools, or, except for Google, the knowledge to evaluate the plugs. I'll see what the mechanic will charge to take a look. (Last time he charged $500 to do the tune-up -- California prices, no doubt.)
In that case.... If it's running good, and there aren't any problems, don't go alookin' for 'em.

Tune-ups on vans can be a lotta fun, having to disassemble half the interior just to be able to SEE the engine..... makes for a lotta labor time.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:21 PM
stevebass
Rookie

[QUOTE=Tune-ups on vans can be a lotta fun, having to disassemble half the interior just to be able to SEE the engine..... makes for a lotta labor time. [/QUOTE]

The mechanic grumbled -- lots -- about accessing the two plugs nearest the grill. The previous tune-up was done by a next-door backyard mechanic buddy and I helped him. He wasn't paid, so he did more than grumble and he did so much more loudly.

I'll take your advice and let it go for another 10K or maybe 20K.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:42 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

The mechanic grumbled -- lots -- about accessing the two plugs nearest the grill. The previous tune-up was done by a next-door backyard mechanic buddy and I helped him. He wasn't paid, so he did more than grumble and he did so much more loudly.

I'll take your advice and let it go for another 10K or maybe 20K.

Keep an eye on your fuel mileage. If it starts to run rough and mileage drops, time for new plugs. You do have to take the cover off to do the tune up. Plug replacement is a fairly simple process, but if you feel it's beyond you, see if you have a relative who is mechanically inclined.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:44 PM
stevebass
Rookie

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Keep an eye on your fuel mileage. If it starts to run rough and mileage drops, time for new plugs.
Good advice, thanks.

Quick Reply: Tune up interval -- what's best?