Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Trans cooler sizing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 08:48 PM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Trans cooler sizing.

We are going to be picking up a super lo mileage 2002 B1500 shorty 3spd r42? v6. A Leisure van. Have one now that is just rotting to death. How large an accessory trans cooler should we be considering? I have always added a filter at the same time.
Any reason why these weren't offered with a 3 spd od or with a lock up converter? The other 98 v-6 we have also is just a 3 spd auto.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

It should at least have a locking converter, those have been around since the 80's..... I didn't even know they left that out on some models.....

Include a thermal bypass for your trans cooler, and then go BIG. The bypass will let it warm up, and the huge cooler won't let it overheat.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:17 PM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I was helping my friend hunt for a shorty to be used for service work in an area where parking is a premium. Both of his shortys, a B150, and an Astro, are a scosh short of rotting in half. So first found him a G20 shorty with 80k that sailed thru inspection, then this Doge shows up, also a shorty with 20K miles out of an estate one owner. When it rains it pours. Which thermal bypass valve have you had the best result with? I run an add on cooler on my 2500 PU without the bypass and all has been well, with a very large cooler and Magnetron filter.

He could go new, but hates to be at the mercy of a dealership, and the new Promasters, while nice are, a bit much for the home tech to maintain. And even used are 25k more than he is spending.
The fuel savings doesn't begin to cover the increased acquisition and operating costs.

Last edited by Xombi; 02-15-2024 at 10:31 PM. Reason: I forgot
Old 02-16-2024, 10:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Several companies make 'em, I have no direct experience with any of them lately..... The purpose of the thermal valve is so that the trans actually will warm up. (too cold is just as bad as too hot when it comes to trans fluid) However, if he lives someplace where "winter" isn't a concern, then it isn't really necessary.

Quick Reply: Trans cooler sizing.