Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Shortening a van figerglass roof

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 10:39 PM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Shortening a van figerglass roof

My friend has a raised leisure van roof on a lwb Dodge van. Being used currently as a shed. 245 k miles of city driving service work overloaded and it is worn out. It's dry. He bought a shorty. What kind of grief is it removing said roof, shortening it, where to shorten, and putting it on a shorty?
Got a vid or photos to point us to? Would like to have stand up height.

Old 02-16-2024, 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Fiberglass raised roof? I think getting it off without it blowing into a million pieces is going to be difficult. Getting it installed, and have it not leak at the 'graft point' where it was shortened will be another major challenge.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:19 PM
Xombi
Professional

It's a dance harder to learn than the macarena. Wanted to find out if someone had done it before. I don't believe anybody still has the molds for the shorties, but am checking. New would be the way to go.
We brought home the unicorn today, an 02 Shorty with a for real 15k miles. You could eat off the engine. Drove like a new car. It will be an in town service vehicle so the lack of an overdrive won't really matter, and yes it has a lock up converter.
It goes to paint end of next week for touch up. Will post photos then. The friend I got it for and helped negotiate payment and price, (I speak Spanish) was grinning ear to ear.
Met the guy, drove the van, checked the title, went into a bank, wrote him a check, he cashed it there. It's too crazy to carry large amounts of cash any more. I would recommend doing business this way, but surely some know a better path.

Anybody know of a dead shorty Dodge hightop for sale with a salvageable roof?

Last edited by Xombi; 02-16-2024 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Xombi
It's a dance harder to learn than the macarena. Wanted to find out if someone had done it before. I don't believe anybody still has the molds for the shorties, but am checking. New would be the way to go.
We brought home the unicorn today, an 02 Shorty with a for real 15k miles. You could eat off the engine. Drove like a new car. It will be an in town service vehicle so the lack of an overdrive won't really matter, and yes it has a lock up converter.
It goes to paint end of next week for touch up. Will post photos then. The friend I got it for and helped negotiate payment and price, (I speak Spanish) was grinning ear to ear.
Met the guy, drove the van, checked the title, went into a bank, wrote him a check, he cashed it there. It's too crazy to carry large amounts of cash any more. I would recommend doing business this way, but surely some know a better path.

Anybody know of a dead shorty Dodge hightop for sale with a salvageable roof?
Would it be possible to make a mold for the top??

Old 02-17-2024, 12:01 PM
Xombi
Professional

I have never worked seriously with fiberglass. I have the skills to build a wooden mold. We discussed it with a friend who does work with boats, and while possible, laying up fiberglass cloth is not a task for unsupervised rookies. He pointed us to alleged professionals who do install and fabricate van tops regularly, and have tons of feedback about leaks. Unresolved. I have dealt with delaminating fiberglass cracks and leaks once or twice. Unsuccessfully. .He's got two really really nice shorty vans now and why foul it up? Time to leave the table a winner. Thanks for the input.
There is a company in Ca that allegedly had the molds for the tops. They never got back to us and I imagine freight and crating would be a deal breaker. Who would hold on to molds for a van out of production and rarely produced when in production for twenty years?

Quick Reply: Shortening a van figerglass roof