Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

01 Ram Van 3500 Suddenly Sputtering to Death

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 08:32 PM
dmacca
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Ram Van 3500 Suddenly Sputtering to Death

I need help with the van, which is running too rough and weak to move when in gear. My first thought was the fuel filter/pump, but in this model it's supposed to last forever. The CEL is on, but I don't have a code-reader. It's been on since the day I bought it, COVID July 2020.

I need help in diagnosing the problem. The people I care for rely on me, and I can't let them down. I also can't afford $300 just for a chop shop to pop the hood.

The background on the problem: I've had the van for four years, it's always run fine, except would run rough for a little while whenever it lost battery power. For the past couple years, I only drive it 1-3 days per week, usually under 100 miles/mo.

Whenever the battery drained or I had to disconnect the batt for other maintanance, the van would start right up but, for a day or two, might sputter once or twice when accelerating. After that, it would run fine for weeks, months. I replaced the bad battery, and no problems for months.

Recently, and only occasionally, the sputter issue would happen out of nowhere: Run fine for several days of use, then would sputter for a few seconds when starting from a stop light or going up a hill. Then, a week ago, it conked out entirely, as if stalled or running out of gas, as I was going up a long hill. After a few seconds of letting it rest, I pumped the gas, and it started right up, no problem after.

That day, I took a lady shopping in Q, filled up the tank while there, and drove back. No problem at all. The next day, it did the same thing on the same hill at nearly the same spot. Pumped the gas, it started up, I did my work, and it died on the way home, about half a mile from home. From then, I could get it to start up, but it was always too rough to have enough power for the drive train. A deputy ended up giving me a couple shoves to get it home. And here it sits, still starting and running, but sputtering too much to move.

One major thing I noticed... The van always started the second I'd turn the key. The starting motor barely needed to be engaged. However, the last 3-4 times I drove before this happened, I actually had to pump the gas first.

My friends and I desperately need help to diagnose/fix my van but I have limited know-how and a limited budget, and health problems of my own that limit my abilities.

It's a 2001 Dodge Ram Van 3500.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Which engine??

Things to check first: How old are the tune up parts? Last time it had one? Verify you have good fuel pressure. (should be around 49 PSI after you cycle the key a couple times, and stay there while running.) Nope. Pumps most certainly do not last forever.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:10 PM
dmacca

Sorry, meant to mention it's the 5.9L.

I've no way to check the pressure, but I smell fuel when trying to start it. (I have the doghouse and air filter off).

Old 04-11-2024, 12:12 AM
dmacca

It smelled of fuel the day this all went to ****, because I was throttling it to keep it running and moving. Now that it's a cold engine, it's difficult to start or keep running. But, with or without the doghouse and air filter in place, the fuel smell is blatant.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Check out the coolant temp sensor. Not sure where it would be on yours, it's either next to the thermostat housing, or, over on the passenger side by the heater hose outlet. Make sure the connector and sensor are still in one piece, and making a good connection.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:14 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by dmacca
The CEL is on, but I don't have a code-reader. It's been on since the day I bought it,
Step 1: get the codes read. Since you don't want to throw parts at it and waste money, get the codes read and post them here. Knowing the codes will helps us help you in the right direction. Many auto parts stores will scan the vehicle for free and tell you the codes.

FWIW, the symptoms are pointing towards a failing fuel pump, or ignition coil. One is an expensive repair, the other is not, knowing the codes will help make that determination. Heck, you can also get an OBD-II reader of Amazon for under $25 these days, just to have one handy and turn off the CEL.

https://a.co/d/2gANnQr

Last edited by alloro; 04-11-2024 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 03:39 PM
dmacca

There was only one code causing the CEL, and it's related to an emissions sensor. It's been on since I bought it, so it has nothing to do with the issue(s) at hand.

I'll be checking the fuel pressure tomorrow and come back with results. I, too, think the pump/filter combo in the tank is the likely culprit.

Quick Reply: 01 Ram Van 3500 Suddenly Sputtering to Death