Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

What is my engine missing? Shop did hack job on rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 02:06 AM
Dodgevanner1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my engine missing? Shop did hack job on rebuild

As the title states, I had my engine rebuilt by a supposed qualified shop, and it was returned to me with various problems, which seem to include missing components.. I don't have a schematic or other diagram, and my knowledge in this area is basically nonexistent..

When the van was returned it was in limp mode and I ended up having to rebuild the transmission as well. I drove it for about a year after that, with unsolved misfires in three cylinders. Then for annual registration I was/am required to get it smog checked at a Star certified smog station. Since the van won't pass smog with the misfires I began registering it as non-operational even though it starts up and runs and is drivable..

I'm hoping someone can help me identify the missing component(s) by viewing the image I attached below. I'm going to visit a LKQ Pick Your Part yard tomorrow and see what I can determine on my own.. Rather than sell the van at a huge loss, I'd like to dive into it again and see if I can diagnose and fix the misfires and other issues and start using it again!

Some of the work and other testing that I've performed include:
  • Engine rebuild
  • Transmission rebuild
  • Replaced spark plugs, rotor, distributor cap, and spark plug wires. NOTE: I recently realized that I didn't replace the ignition coil, and that's on my to-do list.
  • Disconnected the fuel pump, drained the fuel line, removed the fuel rail and all the injectors and inspected them. Marked which injectors came from which cylinders, and then swapped the injector positions, but still had misfires in the same three cylinders.
  • Compression test when engine wasn't too hot and hadn't been driven that day. I forget the specific numbers, but they didn't vary too much from cylinder to cylinder.. I think I need to do another compression test when the engine is hot..
  • I'm pretty sure I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, but will need to double-check..
  • Fixed one of the hack jobs that the engine shop did by replacing the PCV valve and its grommet, thus getting a better seal.
  • Fixed the rocker covers which had been put on backwards. I was able to confirm this by inspecting other Dodge vans at LKQ yards..
  • EDITED TO ADD: I haven't done a vacuum test, and I realize that my misfires may have something to do with vacuum leaks, and/or the messed up hose situation and/or missing component(s).. That's why I'm reaching out for help!

The shop really did a hack job on my van, and I should have sued them.. However, I didn't take any action at all. It's a long story and I have lots of photos. I'd be glad to share more if anyone is interested. For now, I'm just hoping this community can help me make some progress in getting my van back on the road!

Multi-use excursion van!

Last edited by Dodgevanner1500; 05-24-2024 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:36 AM
Dodgevanner1500
Default More photos of the van

More photos:

Rust bucket..

Replaced back left door with one that had a window that could open.

Upgraded the seating by pulling these reclining captains chairs out of another van at the LKQ yard!

Replaced one side door with a door that had an openable window. Quick release mechanism allows the window to be removed completely.

Window removed.

Original doors from the van. Back door with non-openable window, and side door with no window at all. Replaced the grey doghouse with a black one..

Old 05-24-2024, 07:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

For number 5, that looks suspiciously like the heater core connections..... There should be a hose that comes from the passenger side of the intake, that runs back there, and another hose, that runs from there, to a tube into the water pump.

For the vacuum lines, is the emissions label still under the hood somewhere?

Might not be a bad idea to pick up a factory service manual for your truck....... You can generally get 'em in PDF format for under 40 bucks.

Old 05-24-2024, 04:38 PM
BlockHeadGearBender
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Four small hoses come through the firewall. One supplies vacuum to the vacuum switch.
2. The white-ish hose connects to a vacuum actuator (missing) on coolant hoses for the heater core.
3. This hose supplies vacuum to the HVAC switch in the cabin.
4. Two of the hoses go around the cowl, past the heater/AC evap box and connect to a two-way vacuum actuator behind the passenger-side headlamp.
5. Hoses for the heater core are missing, as is the vacuum actuator. If you also have rear heat, the Y-fittings are also gone.

Old 05-25-2024, 03:55 AM
Dodgevanner1500

Originally Posted by HeyYou
For number 5, that looks suspiciously like the heater core connections..... There should be a hose that comes from the passenger side of the intake, that runs back there, and another hose, that runs from there, to a tube into the water pump.
For the vacuum lines, is the emissions label still under the hood somewhere?
Might not be a bad idea to pick up a factory service manual for your truck....... You can generally get 'em in PDF format for under 40 bucks.
Thanks! I appreciate the information and the suggestion. I've been getting by too long just on Youtube tutorials! I really could use an official service manual. I'll pick one up soon. It looks like there's a "3-part series" for around $70, or a single manual for around $40 like you mentioned. Do you know if the 3-part manual is more comprehensive (EDIT: and worth buying over the single manual)? (Also Edit: I checked and didn't see any labels. They must have come off over time.)

Originally Posted by BlockHeadGearBender
1. Four small hoses come through the firewall. One supplies vacuum to the vacuum switch.
2. The white-ish hose connects to a vacuum actuator (missing) on coolant hoses for the heater core.
3. This hose supplies vacuum to the HVAC switch in the cabin.
4. Two of the hoses go around the cowl, past the heater/AC evap box and connect to a two-way vacuum actuator behind the passenger-side headlamp.
5. Hoses for the heater core are missing, as is the vacuum actuator. If you also have rear heat, the Y-fittings are also gone.
For #1, It looks like there's only three coming out of my firewall. Perhaps there's still one more that's missing.
For #2, I got some good pics while at the LKQ pick your part yard this afternoon. Please see below. I not only got pics, but I pulled these hoses from the engine I was looking at. I noticed that the actuator joins the two halves of "Hose A" together, but that the one I pulled today is broken. I will need to pull a different one, or order a new one.
For #'s 1 through 5, thanks for all of this information! This helps give me some part labels to work with, and a direction that I can continue to investigate.

Last edited by Dodgevanner1500; 05-25-2024 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:39 AM
Dodgevanner1500
Default Another hack job revealed

Please see questions below these new images. I haven't purchased a manual yet, so any help and advice is still welcome. Thanks!

Questions:
  1. When I go to disconnect my current hose A&B configuration as shown above, is there going to be fluid pouring out from the hoses? I expect the answer to be "yes". I have a large plastic jar and drain pan that I will set up just in case. Hopefully I don't make too much of a mess.
  2. Aside from attempting to reconnect all these missing hoses in the proper configuration, what else needs to be done? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the system need to be "refilled" or "recharged" somehow?
  3. Could this hose+vacuum line situation have something to do with the three misfiring cylinders?

Old 05-26-2024, 03:10 AM
BlockHeadGearBender
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should consider why the heater core was bypassed. It probably leaks.

Old 05-26-2024, 10:49 AM
Dodgevanner1500

Originally Posted by BlockHeadGearBender
You should consider why the heater core was bypassed. It probably leaks.
Ahhh, geez. This is a fair point. Do you know if there's a way of testing whether or not the heater core leaks without hooking everything back up again? To be honest, you've got me considering that it's just always been this way from the time that I bought it. This problem likely existed before I even purchased the van.

People say that boats are a money pit, but so far that's all this van has been for me. I really want to love this van and make it usable again, but I've put in a lot of time money and effort, with not a lot of return. I think my van has a lot of character, and I like its profile.

Before I got remotivated to try and fix it again, I had been considering selling it as-is. I thought I would take one last crack at trying to fix the misfires, so that hopefully I can either use it, or sell it for a better price. I've also been considering trying to trade it for a long-distance hole puncher.

Quick Reply: What is my engine missing? Shop did hack job on rebuild