Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Timing Issue I believe

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 04:17 PM
PatMcDirt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Issue I believe

So i have a 99 dodge ram 1500 van with a v6 3.9L and do to some mechanical issues I needed to replace my lower engine block. I bought a used lower out of 96 Dakota, and since putting it all back together we cant get it to start. It has spark and fuel. We are not sure what's the issue. We've been adjusting the timing, and nothing seems to work. The original lower and timing chain had a tension-er on it. The salvaged one from the 96 did not. We don't think that is causing the issue, but we are running out of hypotheses. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Any thoughts or advice would be great!

Cheers!

Old 08-04-2024, 05:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Distributor 180 out??

Old 08-04-2024, 11:06 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 586 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by PatMcDirt
So i have a 99 dodge ram 1500 van with a v6 3.9L and do to some mechanical issues I needed to replace my lower engine block. I bought a used lower out of 96 Dakota, and since putting it all back together we cant get it to start. It has spark and fuel. We are not sure what's the issue. We've been adjusting the timing, and nothing seems to work. The original lower and timing chain had a tension-er on it. The salvaged one from the 96 did not. We don't think that is causing the issue, but we are running out of hypotheses. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Any thoughts or advice would be great!

Cheers!

The tensioner keeps things tight. Like Heyyou said, you could be 180 degrees off or your inje=ctor and ignition spark aren't synchronized. I would think it would run, but poorly, but my training and experience is on older stuff.

Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Remove the #1 spark plug and line up the timing mark to TDC. Insert something thin into the spark plug hole to feel if the piston is at the top or bottom of the cylinder. If the piston is at the bottom and the rotor is pointed at the #1 tower, then the distributor is 180 off. If the piston is at the top and the rotor is pointing at the #1 tower, then it is correct. Did you happen to by any chance, lift up and turn the gear at the bottom of the distributor that engages the camshaft?

Quick Reply: Timing Issue I believe