Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

AC headache

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 01:19 PM
Rkm2015
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC headache

Hey all. New to this site but owned my 1500 conversion van since new in 03. Only has about 59k original.
I've had issues with the ac for awhile now. I've replaced the compressor, front expansion valve, drier, and condenser. Ive taken care of what I had initially thought was an overheating issue due to a faulty ac system. Ended up replacing radiator and flushing, replace thermostat, fan clutch and burp system. Even added 2 pusher electric fans on condenser. Runs at 180-186 consistently now. With ac on in hotter temps engine temp slowly climbs sometimes as high as 216. When running the ac after numerous vac and recharges temp at vents get to 40ish when it's ambient temp is 73. When it gets upwards of 95 degrees, vent temps are only 73 at best. I also notice that vent temps gradually get warmer if I am at a higher fan speed (compressor always engaged). Can't seem to figure out where I went wrong. I am by no means an ac guy so any input would be awesome before I rip my hair out.
Thanks folks!

Old 08-08-2024, 05:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,313 Likes on 3,058 Posts

If you can get to it easily, pull the blower fan out, and see how much crud has accumulated on the evap core. Probably need to clean that out. Make sure the condenser is clear as well. Probably wouldn't hurt to just flush it with a hose..... blow all the accumulated crap out. (condenser, not the evap core. )

Running hotter with a/c on in high temps isn't a surprise. So long as the engine temp stays in the 'safe' range, yer good.

Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
Rkm2015

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you can get to it easily, pull the blower fan out, and see how much crud has accumulated on the evap core. Probably need to clean that out. Make sure the condenser is clear as well. Probably wouldn't hurt to just flush it with a hose..... blow all the accumulated crap out. (condenser, not the evap core. )

Running hotter with a/c on in high temps isn't a surprise. So long as the engine temp stays in the 'safe' range, yer good.
took blower motor out and cleaned the little bit of crap in there. The condenser is literally a week old and no restrictions there. But no matter what the temp is outside, the coolest I'll get thru the vents is at most 15-20 degrees less than ambient temperature. Even with a laser thermometer, the temp of the block of evaporator is same as air temp coming out of the vents, so no restrictions in the box.. I may have accidentally added a little bit too much oil when putting new compressor in. I tried to empty some from the compressor but to no avail. Last thing I can think of is that some way some how that extra oil is sitting in the bottom of the evaporator itself?? Tried to blow compressed air thru the evaporator but got very little to come out. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and try to remove the air box and get this blasted evap core out.. also do notice that with ac on, engine temp gradually keeps rising until I turn the ac off, driving or not. any other suggestions?? Ideas??

Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

These things have a valve that cuts off the coolant flow to the heater when you have recirculate going. Mine has a second valve someone added the I can manually cut the flow of hot coolant to the heater core. Makes a big difference in the temp coming out the vents. Doubt it would do anything for the engine temps going up though.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM
Rkm2015

Originally Posted by jeffersonracing
These things have a valve that cuts off the coolant flow to the heater when you have recirculate going. Mine has a second valve someone added the I can manually cut the flow of hot coolant to the heater core. Makes a big difference in the temp coming out the vents. Doubt it would do anything for the engine temps going up though.
I haven't swapped out that valve yet for sure. I can put a manual shutoff and see if it helps. Its odd too because if the van is leaning forward on an incline, sometimes the ac gets colder and engine temp goes down. Like there's some kind of blockage. Very strange.. Thank you for the input.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,313 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Might not be a bad idea to pay someone to completely evac the a/c system, and recharge it.... make sure you have the correct amount of refrigerant/oil.....

The 'runs cooler at angle' thing does indeed sound like an air pocket in the cooling system somewhere. I know the truck are notorious hard to get all the air out.....

Quick Reply: AC headache