Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Cold weather and the TBI

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2024, 10:27 AM
Ray Bell
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cold weather and the TBI

The past two days I've had cold starts. Not snow or anything, just very brisk.

Starting was okay, but to drive is to experience lots of power loss. Driving slowly is perilous, no power then bursts of power, on the highway you lose speed and then it comes back again.

Is it the cold or something else? Yesterday it went away in time, I haven't driven far today - about 15 miles - and it's still there.

Old 09-15-2024, 12:00 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 385 Likes on 362 Posts

Vehicle info may help. Injector intermittently working, Fuel pump loosing pressure. Any codes?

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Ray Bell
Veteran

1990 B350...

I don't know about codes. Yesterday it got so bad that I thought I wouldn't make it up a hill, but by the end of the day it was running really well. Then I climbed to 8600' with no issues, but at the top it started again. Down onto the lower ground (4000') it was okay.

Could it be the fuel filter?

Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,365 Likes on 3,107 Posts

Possibly..... but, I don't think that would be affected as much by altitude....

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Putting a fuel pressure tester on it would tell you whether something is going on as far as the pump or filter. If the filter isn't inside the tank it wouldn't hurt to change it and it should be fairly easy. Might think about a map sensor or the temp sending unit that sends that signal to the ecu. Another thing would be to check all your connections and that includes grounds and make sure the battery cables don't have any green corrosion growing in them.

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Los_Control
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me tell you a story .... Just joking.
I have a 1993 Caravan that the fuel pump died and it was difficult to diagnose .... It worked in the night time when the roads were cool .... day time when the roads heated up, it quit pumping.
The heat off the blacktop radiated up to the fuel tank and while the pump was running .... it just lost suction and did not pass fuel.

We were on a trip from Washington to New Mexico ..... same time it was over the weekend and when we tried to find a fuel pump it had to be ordered and delivered in a few days.

As long as we drove at night when the roads were cool .... we made it all the way from Albuquerque to Seattle with a bad fuel pump.

This was a 1993 Dodge Caravan .... I had a 1992 Dodge shadow that died the same way, My Uncle had a 1989 Caravan with same issue .....
When the 1990's Dodge fuel pumps die .... they die in a strange way .... A Ford or Chevrolet just stop working and you get no further down the road ..... A Dodge just kinda keeps working.

If your fuel pump has not been replaced it is time to think about it.

Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Ray Bell
Veteran

This morning it was playing up...

This afternoon it performed perfectly.

I'm wondering if there was some water got into the tank at a refuel a few days ago.

Quick Reply: Cold weather and the TBI