Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Where is my "Dome Lamps Switch"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024, 03:50 PM
MKMcDonough
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where is my "Dome Lamps Switch"?

Hi all,

First, can I say that auto wiring diagrams are a language of their own, and I'm ignorant.

Please see attached wiring diagrams. I have power at the fuse and the glove box light works. None of the other lights work. That seems to tell me the "Dome Lamps Switch" isn't working since I can't activate my lights from any doors or the switches in the lamp assemblies.

Maybe there is just a hidden switch that I don't know about that needs to be turned on? or the switch is broken... either way WHERE IS IT?

Thanks all,

Old 09-19-2024, 04:45 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

If you turn the headlight switch all the way to the left it will turn on the dome lights. All the way to the right and they will not come on. Glove box light is not related to the dome lights. Dome lights should activate when you open a door unless the headlight switch is all the way right.

Old 09-19-2024, 06:13 PM
MKMcDonough
Rookie

Originally Posted by jeffersonracing
If you turn the headlight switch all the way to the left it will turn on the dome lights. All the way to the right and they will not come on. Glove box light is not related to the dome lights. Dome lights should activate when you open a door unless the headlight switch is all the way right.
That's what I thought too... but it doesn't work.

From the wiring diagram, it looks like the "Dome Lamps Switch" is a different switch than the headlamp switch. It looks like the "Dome Lamp Switch" is in series with all dome lamp circuits and has to be on for any of the dome lamps to come on. The "Headlamp Switch" is one path to turning them on. Another is the door switches. I assume the headlamp switch is the one that you are talking about.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 09-20-2024, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Look in the component locator section of your manual, it will tell you where the switch is.

Old 09-20-2024, 02:42 PM
MKMcDonough
Rookie

@Hey You , I can’t find that section. There is an index in the back, but the dome lamp switch isn’t there. I’ve flipped through all the similar sounding references but they were not it.
I went ahead and pulled the cluster bezel and the headlamp switch off and found this connector not connected to anything. I also found this connector reference in the wiring section. I think this is the same thing and there is no switch here… but then again, there’s no hole in the bezel for a switch. Maybe it was shorted at the factory and the previous owner disabled the lights for some reason I will soon find out when I connect it? I assume pk/lb is pink/blue. If so the colors match too. I think I’ll try shorting it and seeing if that does anything.

Old 09-20-2024, 03:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Does it plug in somewhere on the headlight switch?? That would make the most sense to me.

Old 09-20-2024, 03:11 PM
MKMcDonough
Rookie

I thought the same. No missing connectors on the headlamp switch.

I’m about to replace the headlamp switch too as my highbeams only work for a few seconds. I suspect the circuit breaker in the switch is malfunctioning.

Old 09-20-2024, 04:47 PM
MKMcDonough
Rookie

@HeyYou and @jeffersonracing , ya'll were right. There was a missing connector on the back of the headlamp switch. I don't know why it shows as two separate things in the wiring diagram, but oh well, let's move on.

Now, this was obviously done on purpose (as well as the chime being removed). The lights (and chime) are always on now that I've corrected the connections (unless I turn the **** all the way to the right like Jefferson said). I am assuming one of my door jamb switches is bad. I'll let ya'll know once I track that down.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Where is my "Dome Lamps Switch"?