Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Mobile Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 03:15 PM
arty4444
|
Professional
Default Mobile Mechanic

I have a 2001 DRV 3500 5,9L.

I've used a mobile mechanic (they come to you) twice recently on fairly simple jobs and am pleased with his work and prices.

He has a huge well outfitted van with tons of tools and beats "shop prices" by quite a ways. My question is does it seem reasonable that he (and his helper) could replace the front end parts below without a shop lift.

idler arms
pitman rod bushings
tie rod bushings
upper ball joints

i have no idea what special equipment or tools this work requires. He is very experienced with top reviews.

Thanks in advance

PS- my van has 100k miles and I foresee driving it for about another 30k miles before replacing it. For those 30k miles would you advise any of the parts above be "Moog" brand or is generic OK?

Last edited by arty4444; Yesterday at 03:43 PM.
Old Yesterday | 05:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sure. I have done lots of front end parts on the shop floor. A jack and jackstands is enough to get it up off the ground enough to swap 'em out. He won't be able to do an alignment in your driveway though.

Old Yesterday | 07:18 PM
ElkCon
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Sure. I have done lots of front end parts on the shop floor. A jack and jackstands is enough to get it up off the ground enough to swap 'em out. He won't be able to do an alignment in your driveway though.
agreed -- Ive done all of those without a lift. The top ball joints actually screw out

Quick Reply: Mobile Mechanic