Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Sudden onset, complete loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2024 | 07:00 PM
1998DodgeRamVanCamper
|
Rookie

Connectors are all clean and tight. I don’t think any of the other sensors went to zero. Do you know one that for sure uses the same 5 V reference voltage that I could check? For example, throttle position sensor? Or engine coolant temp?

Old 10-23-2024 | 07:12 PM
1998DodgeRamVanCamper
|
Rookie

It only seems to happen under load and uphill.
Currently trying to make it over the Rockies. I bought a carb compliant catalytic converter in Colorado but the shops in Colorado won’t install it because this conversion van has an EFN which cannot be located in their system. They don’t want to install it and risk being in trouble, in spite of the fact that it’s the exact same model catalytic converter with the exact same numbers stamped on the outside.

anyways, carrying on trying to make it over this mountain. Currently in the middle of a cool down and temporally stranded.

Old 10-23-2024 | 07:15 PM
1998DodgeRamVanCamper
|
Rookie

here are the readings that happened just now when it died on me. Or was dying on me. It seems the other sensors are working, so I’m presuming it’s not the PCM. What do you think?

Old 10-24-2024 | 07:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Those are all the signs of a clogged cat.

Old 10-24-2024 | 08:54 AM
1998DodgeRamVanCamper
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Those are all the signs of a clogged cat.
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

im going to try again to get this cat installed when the shops open in a couple hours.

I’ll definitely report back if that was the problem or not.

Last edited by 1998DodgeRamVanCamper; 10-24-2024 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-24-2024 | 05:20 PM
1998DodgeRamVanCamper
|
Rookie

New cat installed. Just embark on a five hour trip. We’ll see what happens.

Old 10-24-2024 | 05:58 PM
1998DodgeRamVanCamper
|
Rookie

The problem persists. I’d love to have a couple of leads running down to the O2 sensor with a volt meter on my dashboard to monitor the 5V feed.
however, the fact that the problem always happens under load, uphill or at freeway speed with a strong headwind, makes me think that it’s not the PCU.

Old 10-24-2024 | 06:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ok, that's just odd..... Was the cat bad?

Does the fuel level make any difference as to when it happens? The O2 sensors *might* be reporting correctly, and something else is actually causing the issue. Low voltage may be due to an excessively lean condition.... Theoretically, stepping on the gas hard enough, *should* move the PCM into open loop, where it ignores the O2 sensors..... basically, if it is the sensors CAUSING the issue, pushing the pedal to the floor should have the van standing on end. If it doesn't, I would be looking at possible fuel delivery issues.... maybe a weak fuel pump? What is injector pulse-width doing when the problem presents? ( know monitoring that while driving by yourself is rather a pain, and can be dangerous...... so, Please be careful.)

Old 10-24-2024 | 07:25 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 1998DodgeRamVanCamper
The problem persists. I’d love to have a couple of leads running down to the O2 sensor with a volt meter on my dashboard to monitor the 5V feed.
however, the fact that the problem always happens under load, uphill or at freeway speed with a strong headwind, makes me think that it’s not the PCU.
On the previous page, your ST fuel trims were negative and now they're positive? I stand by previous remarks that it's most likely the MAP sensor, a faulty injector, or the fuel pump

Old 10-25-2024 | 02:59 PM
1998DodgeRamVanCamper
|
Rookie

Bought and installed the map sensor this morning. The problem still persists so, I can confirm it’s not the map sensor.

The only fuel pumps in stock for the surrounding 500 miles for this van with a 35 gallon tank are the Carquest brand. I’m not willing to install one of those. I’m holding out for Delphi.

my plan is to just baby this thing until I get back to LA where they have about eight of these fuel pumps in stock within a 20 mile radius

Quick Reply: Sudden onset, complete loss of power