Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Air filter housing pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:29 PM
dropoutdave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter housing pictures

Hi all, I was just looking at the thread about cleaning the IAC and noticed that the picture of the air filter, and in the manual I have too, the air filter has a housing around the body of the air filter. I had a look at mine with the intention of giving it all a good clean and replacing the air filter and noticed that it didn't have one.

Is it missing or do some have it and some not? Also any comments on the oil and where it might be leaking from and/or how serious it might be? I haven't noticed the oil levels going down at all. Any comments on the condition of the throttle body apart from being mucky as hell?

Thanks in advance, i've still got alot to learn!

Dave

Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 PM
dropoutdave
Default RE: Air filter housing pictures

PS. It's a 1994 B250 3.9L 6cyl.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:58 AM
ThaiUK

Same question that has been on my mind too, so it must be standard on some engines or maybe certain year models. I thought it may have been because mine was converted to LPG. Anyway, same air filter setup as my 1994 B350 5.2 V8.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:44 PM
dropoutdave

Ahh that would make sense, mine is an LPG conversion too.

Had it in the garage today and the leak is nothing serious, pain to get to but its not gasket related, just needs some sealant putting on. Another job to put on the list!

Old 02-18-2007, 09:39 AM
IGadget
Professional

The IAC pictures (from memory here) looked like the IAC is inserted into a carburator. Since you have LPG, and that is already atomized as it were, it doesnt need a carb, infact Im supprised it has a throttle plate. I only know this tidbit of information because last weekend I watched a series of videos on converting to hydrogen, or running hydrogen boost. I'm mainly considering this for cold weather starting vs an all the time run system I may do boost anyway not sure.

The bigest factor here is cost, since there isnt the infrastructure like there is in the southwest.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:22 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DOD,

I can't tell if your TB has an IAC or not since the photo just cuts out the area where the IAC most likely would be shown.

HOWEVER, do take a look at my, How To Clean The IAC thread with step-by-step 56k friendly pictures. https://dodgeforum.com/m_525409/tm.htm

ALSO, take a look at my Crank Case Breather Mod too.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_525412/tm.htm

I'm planning on doing the IAT mod this Spring when the temps get above 40. [&:]

Peace!

Stev

Old 02-20-2007, 09:32 AM
IGadget
Professional

Stev,

There is one thing I don't understand. Why is the air filter housing soaking up oil? My 83 never had this problem, but my 87 drowns. As a result I took the valve covers off the 83, and Will be putting them on this summer most likely... From what I've heard, the newer valve covers are just pressed out, where as the older covers havea plate welded over the breather outlet area that extends about 2 inches on either side of the hole and is open along the front and rear (of the engine) ends. This keeps the oil splashing around the valves from getting sucked in.

Have you ever looked at the inside of the valve covers to determine if a plate is there? I use plate liberally though it really is just a rectangular piece of sheet tack welded in.
Once it warms up a bit and I go out to my storage again, I'll see if I can take some pictures since the parts are out there.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:34 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IG,

When I've pulled out the metal bell that is called the crank case breather off of the valve cover, I did look down the hole. There was no metal plate (shield) to deflect any motor oil from being pushed up into the crank case bell housing.

Depending on the engine pressure, the oil can blow into the the bell or get sucked back in. I guess that is why they call it a "breather."

Here's a look at where the crank case breather bell is located for those reading. It's the light brown looking object to the right with a black hose running to it. (Do note, this bell can be located on either valve cover depending on what year the enigne was made.)

Yes, I got so tired of relplacing air filters at $5 to $8 a pop and cleaning out the air-filter housing. So, I did the mod that has GREATLY helped. I think that the mod is cheaper and less work (hassel) than changing out the valve covers.

Having the air filter blasted with oil on one side and with oil fumes in the air-filter housing chamber depleasts the needed air to get into the TB or carb. THUS, killing fuel mileage and Hp. I would hightly recommend this mod for those who are interested in keeping the air filter clean for just those reasons.

BTW, I purchased my 2001 Dodge Ram Van out near you in Fairport, NY. It was a long 60 mile trip, but finding a 12-passenger Dodge Ram Van is hard to come by.

Stev

OK, with that said, back to the IAC issues here at hand.

Quick Reply: Air filter housing pictures