Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

traction, or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 12:13 PM
johnb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction, or lack thereof

Hi all, first post.

Traded my 200,000 mile 94 Grand Cherokee in for a 2003 2500 Hemi 4x4 two months ago, tried to get up a 150 foot, 15-20% muddy grade at my cabin last weekend, barely made it in 4 lo. Tires spinning, engine revving, mud flying everywhere. Meanwhile, my buddy's 20 year old Honda Accord walks right up, another buddy's Z71 Silverado walks right up. Have to listen to "dodge sucks" crap all night. Embarassing.

Guess I shouldn't have assumed it would have limited slip (it doesn't). What good is 4x4 w/o limited slip?

GM, Ford include it if you get 4wd, I think.

Anyway, I've decided to get a Powertrax no-slip unit for the rear, and maybe one for the front.

Does anyone have experience with these; if so, would you recommend getting one for the front or just the rear? My driveway at home is 500+ feet long, blacktop, with a 20+% hill at the end. We get some snow here in Columbus; depending on the year up to 5 or 6 feet, but 90% of the time the truck will be on pavement, other 10% at the cabin or in snow.

Thanks in advance for comments/assitance/wisdom.

Old 09-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Snafu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: traction, or lack thereof

Haven't dealt with the No-Slip before, it's pretty new. The LockRite is a pretty nice budget locker, pretty easy install. I prefer a Detroit, but I know how to set up gears also and don't mind the extra $$$ and work.

You should NOT put a regular locker in the front. With the IFS being a center disconnect, the only locker that is reccomended is a selectable style, either an ARB air locker, Detroit Electric, or something similar. The way the center disconnect works on your front "axle", the CV shafts are direct splined to your wheels. Only one side of the axle disconnects when you're in 2wd, the other side is still being driven by the wheel. It's fine with an open differential or a selectable, but will cause a regular locker to stay engaged, causing problems with operation of your CV's, axle gears, t-case, locker, and steering.

Selectable lockers are definately the way to go for both axles, but are much more expensive and difficult to install. The benefits are DEFINATELY worth it though. Good luck with the project!

Quick Reply: traction, or lack thereof