Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Anti Spin Differential (or is it???)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Gonzo321
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Spin Differential (or is it???)

I've got a 2007 Quad Cab 2500 4x4 with a Cummins. Sticker says I have a 4:10 Anti Spin 11.5, but whenI rotated the tires, I spin the right wheel forward and the left goes backward. I immediately was concerned because I thought I was running a clutch type factory posi. After reading the manual (which calls for normal diff fluid and no limited slip additive),I called my dealer and the tech said that it has a locker that kicks in after one wheel starts to spin. Is this what everyone else is understanding to be the truth about these diff's, or am I getting hoodwinked?? I haven't hit the mud yet and would like to know before I get into a sticky wickett.

Anyone have any experience with these diff's???

[IMG]local://upfiles/61133/DFC851304A464D73A213BA38A3191F79.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: Anti Spin Differential (or is it???)

put one wheel in the grass and one on the pavement and nail it if you leave rubber on the pavement your ok

Old 04-20-2007, 02:34 AM
Gonzo321

I'm afraid before the payment gets a little rubber, the house will be wearing the front yard. :-}
Actually after I posted this question, I found a thread by Cumminalong which explained it.
I've never used a worm gear type LSD, so I guess there'll be a curve.
Either way, I'm still pumped about owning a CTD.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:07 AM
Pwrwgn

It is in fact a worm-gear limited slip. It is "torque sensing" meaning you will need to have some slippage before it will engage. My experience has been if you are "stuck" (by that I mean it seems only one wheel is going), apply the brake and the torque split should get the other wheel to go. I have had a few slippery situations where one wheel had traction but the other spun. Hit the brake and walked on out.

It's really a better design with nothing to wear out. But because it's a worm gear, it behaves differently. It's very much like the Hummer H-1 diffs.
Try looking up Gleason Torsen for additonal information. Basically the same design.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:18 AM
JJHays

My experience with it is to let off the throttle just a little if one wheel starts to break loosethen engage throttle again (1 second) and away she goes on both tires.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Gonzo321

Thanks for the worm gear confirmation and the techniques on how to make it perform.I knew I would find better info here than at my dealer.

OriginallyI got upset whenI realizedI didn't have a clutch type becauseI thought I had been hoodwinked. What made it worse was the lack of informationI got from the corporate Dodge call center. They then sent me to the dealer's service center. I called and the manager let me talk to a tachnician from the shop. He explained that the diff had a "locker" similar to a Detroit Locker which would engage with a hard bang. I've got experience with using and building diff's with lockers and clutch type posi's, so I knew I was still not getting the truth.

I've never run a worm gear LSD, so the tips I got here will be put to the test soon since my Mom lives 7 miles off the pavement. I've had to pull the brake trick on old posi's where the clutches had gotten weak. It's annoying. I will definitely try the trick of shutting down and getting back in the throttle. Some of the holes on the way to Mom's get pretty hairy, so I'm hoping it'll work in these sitchy's.

What's up with the Dodge "experts" being so blonde (no offense to our lighter haired friends here) ??

It would be niceto see the people selling the vehicle and servicing it to actually know what they are dealing with!!

Again, thanks for the tips,
Gonzo

Old 04-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never had to touch the brake to get mine to engage

only down side is I often get stuck in 2wd, both back tires spinning, toss the little shifter to 4hi and pull right on out

Old 07-17-2007, 10:18 PM
studelizzard

I agree with Gonzo about the dealerships being lost regarding this differential. I could not for the life of me understand why AAM would build build a traction aid that does not work in ultralow traction instances. I pulled out a small tree with my 2006 Megacab and left a single tire spin on my lawn. After going to two seperate dealerships I finally had the answer that the anti-spin differential does not work in certain instances. The dealership recommends applying the parking brake slightly when you begin to lose traction. I called Randy's ring and Pinion and they describe the LSD as like a Detroit Truetrac. The picture from Dodge looks very similar to the Truetrac.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:54 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having worked a long time at the Dodge dealer one of the problems is that the vehicles usually arrive long before the info on them does.

Lots of times we have had new vehicles arrive with problems and couldn't fix them properly because we didn't have any tools or even service manuals for the new models.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Badfish0891

When it is wet out try to get your truck sideways on the pavement. If it doesnt go sideways then its working.

Quick Reply: Anti Spin Differential (or is it???)