Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Hitch Reciever questions (Want to buy one)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 09:54 PM
mittracer87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch Reciever questions (Want to buy one)

I was looking online and found this website:

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ram/pro...tegory_ID=1009

It has an oem hitch reciever for $109. I've never had a truck before this one so I'm not sure if this is a lot or too cheap for one. I want to make sure I get the right one (Mopar) I want the stock one that comes on this truck.

I don't know if this website is a good website to buy from but it seems they have stuff pretty cheap for these trucks.

Also on a sidenote, what is the my max towing wieght with using the hitch reciever compared to using the towing ball that kind of goes into the bumper?

**edit*--I have the 5.7 HEMI

Thanks!

*please correct me if I used the wrong terms, I'm new to this and I don't want to look like more of an idiot that I probably already do.

Old 09-11-2004, 10:39 PM
R. Phillips
Default RE: Hitch Reciever questions (Want to buy one)

That hitch looks fine you can't really go wrong on bolt on hitches they make several different classes I,II,III, depending on what your planning on pulling. i wouldn't use the bumper for towing you can really mess up your bumper and i don't think it likes that great either. i would look at ebay for maybe a cheaper price i would bet they would have one. Russell from TN

Old 09-11-2004, 11:56 PM
adamsredlines
Professional

Go to Walmart, they can order one from Reece that fits the new '04 rams, it bolts to the existing crossmember there, and only takes about 20 minutes to install. I just ordered one there a few weeks ago and it was about $80, and has a class III rating

Old 09-12-2004, 10:22 PM
mittracer87

Any more advice/recommendations?

Old 09-12-2004, 11:33 PM
adamsredlines
Professional

I looked ALL over the place for a hitch, and that was the best I could some up with, it was the least expensive, even when going through many online sites and ebay. Also, I'll bet the existing crossmember is stronger than one that would come with a hitch. One other thing I noticed is, that the ones that come with the crossmember, they lay lower because they have to go under the existing one, so ALOT of it shows.....something to consider if you dont want a big chunk of metal hanging below your bumper all the way across.

Old 09-13-2004, 12:44 AM
mittracer87

the one that you got from wal-mart, does it come with a crossmemember and show a lot?

Old 09-13-2004, 01:23 AM
adamsredlines
Professional

No, the one from Walmart has no crossmember, it bolts directly to the round one that is already there....and to existing holes. No drilling required, just a wrench and some sockets to tighten the 4 bolts.
It doesnt hang down much, only thing you can see is the "box" itself, and once you get a nice cover for it, you wont even know its there.

Here are a few pics I had handy......

Quick Reply: Hitch Reciever questions (Want to buy one)