Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

New guy here....1997 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:27 AM
98Stanger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here....1997 Ram

Hey. I'm new to the forums. I have a 1997 Dodge Ram. It has the 5.2 in it. It's a black ext. cab with 149,000 on it. I've had it for quite some time now, and never really wanted to work on it because I have a 1987 Mustang with a 351W in it for a project. But my truck needs some work and this seems to be the best place to find answers.
I'll go through first and explain my few mods, and then any issues I have with it. And finally I'll get to the question.

Black with 20% tinted windows all the way around
Dual Cd player
Sirius Sportster 4 satellite radio
Ram seat covers
Snugtop bed cover
Magnaflow dual exhaust with no cat

That's about all that is done.

In the past 2 months I've replaced the following: (Are these common problems? I was told they happen often)
Distributor cap
Radiator (craked on the driverside tank)
Thermostat (twice)
Upper radiator hose
(I had a cooling problem I couldn't shake until installing a 160 degree tstat)
Dash is cracked in 10 different places and currently holding with superglue
Headliner is falling

All power options on the truck work with the exception of my cruise, which I was told was due to the mounting location under the hood. Something about fallout from the battery falling on the vacuum lines and rotting them away.

I love my truck. It had a brand new transmission put in it right before I got it. Someone stole my tailgate, so I just installed a new one this weekend.

Now that the formalities are over, here's my question:

When I bought the truck, I noticed the rear bumper is from an 05. NOT from a 97. It is held in place with 2 bolts directly to the bed. It flops pretty bad underneath, due to no support. Is there a bumper bracket or something that is supposed to hold the bumper in place? The bottom flops in and out when driving due to the lack of support. Anyone know if there is, and if so where can I get them?

Old 09-03-2007, 11:42 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: New guy here....1997 Ram

welcome to DF...

I'd yank it off and get the right bumper. last thing you want is a 10 mph fender bender ruining your bed when all it would take out is the bumper...

Old 09-03-2007, 11:45 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New guy here....1997 Ram

Welcome to the forum, I agree either get the right bumper should not be too hard to find at a junk yard or craigslist. or talk to a local welder and see what he can make for you if you likke the way the bumper looks now. My neighbor across the street is great with fab work.