Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Spark plug corrosion question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Landshark9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug corrosion question

Hey,

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2 4wd.

I've been trying to track down the source of my engine pinging (at least, that's what this forum thought it was last time I posted). And twice in the last month when I've started the truck cold and instead of letting it warm up, I just start driving - instead of letting me get to 2500 or 3000 RPM before shifting gears, it shifts at 1200 or so and the RPMs instantly drop to 300-500 and the truck starts to die. I let off the gas, and then it doesn't happen again. I can't reproduce it easily as it's only happened twice.

My friend also said last time he was in the truck and I started it, it felt like it missfired a few times and the the truck shook. I didn't notice it, but he's (much) more car-savy than I am.

So I figured I'd pull my plugs and change out the wires (and check the distributor, but I have no idea how to get back there).

I pulled plug 5 first. The side that you gap looked "ok." There was no wear and was gapped correctly. The end of the threads were black with carbon, but it otherwise looked ok. However I noticed on the opposite side of the plug (the ceramic side?), there was this white corrosion that was gritty. It had gotten onto the threads when I backed the plug out. I cleaned it off and put it back in and replaced the wire.

I pulled plug 7 next. Exact same thing. That white gritty (almost sandy) substance is on the ceramic portion. I put the plug back and replaced the wire.

I pulled plug 3. Again, white gritty stuff. However, this time when I put the plug back in, when it was almost in as far as I could with my fingers (with an extension), I heard and felt what seemed like cracking of dead leaves. The more I turned, the more it cracked. I pulled the plug back out and there was grit on the threads again. I cleaned it off and put it back in and changed the wire.

When I took off the wire for plug #1, I stopped. I was finally able to look into the little casing at the plug and see what the grit was. There looked to be corrosion all over.

(1600x1200 photos of plug #1 in the engine)
Plug 1
Plug 2
Plug 3

I was afraid to even take the plug out so I stopped right there and came here to post about it.

What is that, or what could it be? I've never seen corrosion on the end of a plug before. What sort of impact could this have on the vehicle and is it worth taking into the dealer that sold me this truck last year and yelling? I haven't checked 2/4/6/8 yet but I'd bet they look pretty much just like this.

It looks almost like someone popped the hood, pulled the wires, and let the engine get rained on or something.

Where should I go for here? I repulled plug #3 and stuck a shop vac on it to hopefully get some of the **** outta there. But #1 really worries me. I'm going to go pull the wires on the rest and take a look but I'm a bit wary of starting the truck with 1/2 old wires 1/2 new wires and not knowing what all that stuff is.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:28 PM
dhill
Default RE: Spark plug corrosion question

i know this doesn't answer your question of how it got like that, but my recommendation is to just replace the plugs and wires. There's a good chance that the dealer didn't even check this. How many miles does it have on it? It probably needs it anyway. If you have poor fire due to plugs/wires being bad, it's likely this problem will be amplified when the engine is cold.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:53 PM
jr

The white chaulk is a build up of dried water that can't run out of the hole-if you have aluminum heads always never seize the plugs when replacing.The stalling could very well be the ECM at fault.Mine did the same thing and they upated the ECM and had no further problems except lost 2mpg witch really pissed me off.

Old 01-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Landshark9

I don't remember if I followed up about this or not.

But some odd months ago (4 or 5 or something) we replaced the plugs, wires, and distributor cap/rotor. The distributor had a good amount of the same white corrosion that was found on the plugs and the rotor was severely worn.

Ever since then the truck has driven like a different truck. It accelerates when I tell it to, and it shifts when it is supposed to. No more clicking, no more high voltage arc'ing sounds.

Now if I can ever get some time to write a nasty letter to dodge and to the dealer about their mechanics - 3 trips to the dealer and not once did they actually fix the problem (or pull the plugs).

One other nasty problem is one of the cyclinders surrounding one of the plugs is bent funny. That was hell to get the plug in and out of. That probably took 40% of the entire time. It's crooked - the previous ****nut owner must have bent it as a deep socket doesn't have room to move in there. Not too sure how to get that one fixed.

Next on the agenda is finding a fog light kit. I've found 1 for $80-$90 : http://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com...ACT-FOG/PL114C

And there's dodgeparts.com: https://www.dodgeparts.com/catalog/p...oducts_id/1227

Quick Reply: Spark plug corrosion question