Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

tires slipping on damp ground

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 AM
5.91500beast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tires slipping on damp ground

not to be a jerk or anything...but are you serious when ur asking if maybe u should let off the gas, especially on a hill, when it rains?? you're truck isnt AWD, its rear wheel drive, and even if u have freakin mickey thompson M/T's on your truck, if you hit it hard in the rain, especially on a hill, you will lose traction. It's basic physics, if there is something between your tire and the road, like water, you wont be able to grip as much. If you're havin trouble in the rain like that, i advise you to stay down in SoCal..cause i think you would lose your mind if u ever encountered snow or heaven forbid ice.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:53 AM
sabbat

it doesn't just happen going up hills, its happened on flat ground when the ground is just sort of wet, and not covered in water which is why i asked. i wanted to be sure it wasn't another problem and it was just me trying to go fast, its happened going half speed instead of instantly up to full speed from a stop as well. i was just making sure since i only got my license this past year and it doesn't rain enough in california for me to have any great experience in driving in the rain

Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 PM
LilMzRam
Record Breaker

I lived near Victorville for a little less than a year, and moved back here. I didn't like it at all there! Don't feel bad in asking if there was something wrong...I understand that area doesn't get much rain, so you all don't know what it's like, like we do.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:30 AM
cableguy
Professional

it's a combination of things. First, your bed is probably usually empty, which means those stiff springs have very little weight on them. Second, those 305 tires are wide as hell, so there's less weight per cubic inch on them. Try walking it out of the hole, then when you're up to 20 - 25 or so, then stand on it. Play around until you find a speed where when you stand on it, it doesn't get squirrelly on ya.

Old 03-05-2005, 08:47 AM
RamRough

There can also be some other factors in play here as well. Some road surfaces are naturally more slick than others. Some can get very oily especially after being baked by the sun for a while. Also since it doesnt rain much, the first part of a rainstorm is the slickest because the rain is mixing, lifting, and washing away normal road dust/ debris. Roads are actually cleaned off after a few hours of rain and will have a bit more traction to them later in the storm ( still not as much as dry). Another thing about traction is it is harder to break free than it is to stay tractionless. ( for example in my jeep i have difficulty in lighting the tires up but once i get them going its easy to keep them there). The rest is like everyone said, rubber compound, contact pressure, tread design and the trucks ability to make power (engine power, torque etc.) and transfer it down to the ground Suspension design/ setup).
Most people are happy to break the tires loose like that as it looks like a sign of power (but as we just discussed it can be a number of things). But your right to not like it as any real performance setup has been designed to get as close to the traction threshold as possible without going over it. ( this applys to braking as well).

Drag racers go so far in their designs that they design the vehicle to get a balance perfect enough to raise the front end of the ground just a litle bit so all weight transfers to the rear tires thereby increasing contact pressure. This is also why we can laugh at those import racers with front wheel drive cars and big spoilers in the back. The aerodynamic down force from the spoiler actually takes weight off the front tires allowing them to lose even more traction from their already poor position. (acceleration shifts weight to the rear).
Ah but i digress. If you can do it legally and or at least find some place safe, id actually encourage you to experiment with lossing traction in various forms. start slow!. you get a better feel for the vehicles limits and wont be surprised if it happens when your not expecting. I go out to an empty parking lot on the first snow fall of the winter and do donuts and what not. i refresh myself on how the vehcle slides and pushes and brakes under such slick circumstances.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:08 AM
adamsredlines
Professional

ORIGINAL: Hemipower04

Adam you should consider Bfgoodrich g-force T/A kdw 285/55/r20/rf with the new thread. A lot better than the all terrain. http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...forcetakdw.jsp

Its a good looking tire for sure, and one I considered, but I need winter traction too. Its a bummer it doesnt have any biting edges on it for snow....

Old 03-05-2005, 05:51 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts

ok, i agree with several things here.

With the tires being that wide, you have a horrible contact pressure number. Those tires are about 12" wide says my math, and your contact path should be in the neighborhood of 4-7" long (i'll use 5"). 12*5 is 60, times 4 is 240 square inches of contact area. 6000 pounds divided by 240 is 25 PSI contact pressure.

With the stiff springs having no load, the tires will have very little give, which is why the back end scoots out from under you (the smallest bumps can do the biggest things). Most people put a sand bag or 2 in the bed.

There's a sweet spot in the air pressure. Too low pressure, you have a low contact pressure number. Too high pressure, you have a high contact pressure but hardl a contact patch (plus excessive wear). Somewhere in the middle you'll find the comprimise between perfect contact pressure and perfet contact patch.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:30 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

my dad juss goes liek 5 above wut the tire is recomended for and thats perfect

good traction doesnt hurt the tire

Quick Reply: tires slipping on damp ground