Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

tires slipping on damp ground

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 12:46 AM
sabbat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires slipping on damp ground

it has been raining a bit lately. (im in california so no matter what its not gonna be as much as you east coasters are use to) but the last time i was out i'd stop at a light and when i started up i could feel the wheels slip a bit as if they were looking for some traction, it didn't slip for too long ever maybe a second or tow max, just enough so that i knew it was happening then it would catch the ground and i'd be off,

but tonight it was raining a bit and i stopped at the bottom of a hill at a red light and i normally floor it up the hill because i love to leave people way behind me when i go up it, but i stupidly forgot it was raining stepped on the gass and i felt the car slip a bit, the wheels went side to side for a second (like the back of the truck moved over a bit before coming back to where it should be) and i was moving forward but i could tell i had no traction on the ground, and then a few seconds later it cought the pavement and i took off like normal.

but i was wondering if that is normal and i shoudl just slow down in the rain, or if i need new tires or if there is another problem i don't know about

Old 01-03-2005, 01:06 AM
adamsredlines
Professional
Default RE: tires slipping on damp ground

I dont know what kind of tires you have, but I think the Wrangler HP's I've got on my '04 SUCK in the rain. Maybe i'm expecting too much, but they are always slipping and its not predictable at all. I wouldnt mind it if they always slipped on acceleration, I would know to expect it, but sometimes they do and sometimes they dont.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:29 AM
sabbat

haha how stupid of me i forgot to say what kind of tires i have

i got toyo proxes st's 305/60r18 whatever that all means,

i bought it used and they were on it when i bought it

Old 01-03-2005, 01:40 AM
adamsredlines
Professional

Thats a pretty wide tire....even with a bad tread design you should get traction, might want to lay off the gas a bit

As for the sizing....
305 is the width of the tire in millimeters, at the widest point when inflated
60 is the aspect ratio as a percentage, the width/height
18 is the rim size

Just a quick run down.
I've got the 275/60/20 Wrangler HP's, I've got no complaints about the fair weather driving, have good grip on pavement, they drive smooth and dont take much weight when I balance them, I'm just not impressed with the wet and snow traction. I dont like the "off road" traction either, but being Wrangler HP's and having a street tread, its to be expected.
Next set of tires I get I'm probably going to go for the LT285/55/20 BFG All Terrain TA/KO's, kinda expensive but I think they will give me what i'm looking for in a tire, good all around traction without an overly aggressive tread design.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:01 AM
LilMzRam
Record Breaker

I just think it's due to the rain. I just came from California (before the rains). I had a similar issue with my caprice, and thought it was the tires. It was just the car...even after I put new tires on it, it still had a tendency to spin and act up. So it's just a matter of easing up on take-off, rain can be a hassle when you have power...lol

Old 01-03-2005, 02:07 AM
sabbat

*makes mental note "don't get to 40 as fast as you can from a dead stop" *

it just bugs me because its not even that wet out tonight. just enough that the ground is damp and it slipped around on me and i hate when it does it. of course once i got traction i took off and got up to the speeds i like in a matter of seconds, but i wasn't happy about it slipping

Where were you out in Cali LilMzRam?

Old 01-03-2005, 02:16 AM
Hemipower04
Professional

I live in miami so I have experiance with rain. Most likely all you need is to lay of the gas. When you got a lot of torque like a v8 does its hard to keep to tires from hydroplaning. If hit the gas when the street is wet i'll tailwhip all over the place, its happened a couple of times. If you have a half an inch of thread or more you should be fine. when your tires start going bald is when you think about replacement.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:21 AM
Hemipower04
Professional

Adam you should consider Bfgoodrich g-force T/A kdw 285/55/r20/rf with the new thread. A lot better than the all terrain. http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...forcetakdw.jsp

Old 01-03-2005, 03:03 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

there are quite a few factors that factor into the dynamics of how a tire peforms.

1)rubber compound. the lower the milage rating ussaly the softer the rubber compound which improves wet and dry handling.

2) speed rating . which can change handling alot even in the same make and and type of tire even down to the design of the tread.

3) tire pressure which is going to change the overall dynamics of how well the tire performs form handling all the way to tread wear. most tire shops will set a tire to the manufacturers recommended cold psi. one rule of thumb i follow is take the tire manufacturers max tire pressure and reduce by 6 psi (most tires when heated to temp tend to rise 4-5psi) this is the most accurate method i have found to produce the best handling characteristics for different then oem tires on a given vechile. over inflation causes the tire to ride on the center of the tread causing the contact point of the tire to be less and friction and grip to the road to be less the desirable.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:53 AM
adamsredlines
Professional

I scoped those G-forces but going by the tread design, it'll have 0 snow traction, which is something else I need.

Quick Reply: tires slipping on damp ground