Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

K&N Intake & Veh. Warr

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Jim31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Intake & Veh. Warr

I have an'03 4.7L 8' QC (4x4) w/ 17" Whls. It now hasApprox 22K miles on the odometer. My mileage seems to be consistent with many other's 9-13 town/15-19 highway; however, I would like to improve as possible. I've read other posts about K&amp;N intakes and was wondering, does a K&amp;N installation void the Manuf.'s Veh Warranty? My truck is covered byan extended warranty. I've also started looking at tailgate nets. Although I wouldn't expect miracles from a nethas anyone improved mileage by 1-2 MPG using one? I was hoping improve mileage by 1-3 MPG with both a K&amp;N and a tailgate net but won't install a new intake if it voids the warranty. Does Dodge make an approved performance intake? Also, the truck's tailgate is a prime advertising spot for our business so I hate to give it up without measurable mileage improvments.Thoughts?Thank you for any/all feedback.</P>

Jim</P>

</P>

</P>

Old 02-03-2004, 02:20 PM
5SPDSLT
Rookie

As far as I know the factory can not void the warranty due to the installation of a performace part unless they can prove the part itself caused the damage. I have a hard time believing an air intake system is going to directly cause a problem.</P>

A few years ago I believe Road &amp; Track did a piece where they drove a truck accross country. They tested the tailgate up vs. tailgate down. They found no increase with the tailgate down. In fact as I remember they had a .1MPG decrease with the tailgate down (i.e. worse mileage). But they did say that it could have been from any thing from the shut off at the pump to that one floored freeway on-ramp to the one extra stop for a burger and fries.</P>

I have tried it both ways in my 600 mile round trips to my parents place. No precievable difference. I would add a cold air intake and keep that rolling billboard up. Call it free advertising,</P>

Erfic</P>

Old 02-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Mike I

First, riding with the tailgate up causes some resistance. A hard cover is the way to go provided you don't need the open bed. Next: your air intake.The complete FIPK system is a nice setup andwill help some but to get the full benefit you need to get a performance exaust, a 160 or 180 degree thermostat(depending on where you live) and a performance chip or Hypertech programmer.</P>

I did all the above and got noticable power increases and a great sound. I used the Gibson swept side exaust because I tow a Bass boat and needed low end torque. If you don't tow they make a dual side exit system that exits in front of the right tire.</P>

Most guys use Magnaflow or Gibson for power and Flowmaster for sound.</P>

Old 02-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Vader
Champion

Just a note, I am not sure about our Rams, but if they have a Mass Air Flow Sensor and some of the filter oil gets on it, the sensor will foul. The warranty might not cover it if the dealer detects KN filter oil. Like I said I don't know if our Rams have this sensor.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:27 PM
meurich

per the K&amp;N website they cannot void your warrenty if you make this change see there FAQ. see www.kandn.com</P>

From thier website:</P>

<FONT size=2>16. </FONT><A name=15><FONT color=#000000 size=1>Will the use of a K&amp;N filter void my factory warranty?</FONT></A>

<FONT size=1>It is against the law for a manufacturer to require the use of a specific brand of air filter unless it provides a replacement air filter, free of charge, under the terms of the warranty. For a more thorough discussion of this law known as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty, see our </FONT><FONT color=#800080 size=1>Vehicle </FONT><FONT color=#800080 size=1>Warranty</FONT><FONT size=1> Section of our Air Filter Facts page. Also see our </FONT><FONT color=#800080 size=1>Letter Regarding Vehicle Warranty and K&amp;N Replacement Filters</FONT><FONT size=1>.</FONT></P>

<FONT size=1>7. </FONT><A name=6><FONT color=#000000 size=1>Will a K&amp;N filter cause my vehicle’s mass air sensor to fail?</FONT></A>

<FONT size=1>At this time, K&amp;N is unaware of any evidence that K&amp;N air filter oil from a K&amp;N air filter can damage or cause the malfunction of a MAF sensor, regardless of the make of the vehicle involved. K&amp;N takes seriously any claim that one of its products is incompatible with its designated application or can damage or cause the malfunction of any automotive component. Such claims are thoroughly investigated and, when appropriate, testing is undertaken to determine their merit. In the case of MAF sensors, ongoing tests have shown that contamination from K&amp;N air filter oil has not caused any failures or malfunctions of the MAF sensors in the test vehicles. K&amp;N is aware that MAF sensors can become contaminated for a variety of reasons, unrelated to a K&amp;N air filter (such as backfiring, blowby, leaking airbox or leaking intake duct) and that various methods have been used by some service departments and repair shops to clean a dirty or contaminated MAF sensor, such as spraying with an appropriate cleaner. K&amp;N has not completed any tests as to the efficacy of such a process and, therefore, does not officially endorse or recommend any cleaning process. However, if given the choice of either replacing a MAF sensor or cleaning it, K&amp;N recommends that the consumer ask his or her automotive dealer to attempt cleaning, before replacement. It should be noted that the presence of contamination does not mean the contamination was the cause of the MAF sensor failure. Sensors can fail for electrical or mechanical reasons, unrelated to any visible contamination.
</FONT></P>

Old 02-03-2004, 08:43 PM
5SPDSLT
Rookie

I am not sure if the '03 4.7 has a mass air flow sensor. The older 5.2 and 5.9 did not. Also, I have used the K&amp;N before. If there is enough oil on the filter to get to a MAF sensor then it has been oiled too much.</P>

Eric</P>

Old 02-03-2004, 09:11 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Talk to your dealer, but the "general" rule is that if the part does not contribute to the failure of another part, then it cannot be said to "void" the warranty...K&amp;N have been around fora long time and I doubt any smart Dodge dealer would want to take them on in court...</P>

As far as the tailgate goes, I lived in Great Falls, Montana for several years where the wind blows ALL THE TIME. I took the tailgate off of my Ford pickup due to the wind "warnings" issued by the weather department for "high profile vehicles". In the summer when the wind slows down a bit, I checked my mileage and found it varied from from 1/10 to 3/10 of 1 mpgwith the tail gate off verses on. Bottom line: Do whatever makes you happy...</P>

Old 02-03-2004, 09:55 PM
nuckingfuts

I have heard some complaints that the k&amp;n's are over-oiled at the factory. I put a fipk on my '00 wrangler a few years ago but cleaned the factory oil off and lightly re-oiled it and all was well. Keep in mind that with the fipk you will probably hear it pulling air at WOT.Some find this kind of annoying, others think it sounds good. I now have the volant on my hemi and it is as quiet as stock.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:42 AM
Jim31

All,</P>

Thank you again for taking time to reply to my questions. </P>

Jim</P>

</P>

Old 02-04-2004, 01:44 AM
HEMIFIED

i asked my Dodge dealer about K&amp;N voiding the warranty whether a drop in filter or intake. The mechanic said only if the part caused the problem and that would be hard to prove even if it did cause the problem.

Quick Reply: K&N Intake & Veh. Warr