Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

driving problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:20 PM
joesdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving problems

I own a 89' Ram 100 with a 318. While driving the trucks idle seem to go up and down, up and down, up and down. When I come to a stop,the truck will stall unless I have my foot on both the gas and brake. What could possibly be the problem? I believe it is fuel related but any suggestions of other possibilities would help. THANKS!![sm=smiley35.gif]

Old 02-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: driving problems

Sounds like it could be the Catalytic Convertor to me... Anyone else have any thoughts?

~Amanda

Old 02-09-2004, 10:41 PM
BlueHemi
Veteran

The symptons I have seen with a bad converter is that the vehicle will idle fine but will stall under acceleration. It could be a vacuum leak. Also, I don't know much about a 89 Ram but some cars have a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor, when they go bad you will have the symptoms you described.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:26 AM
Redhairedcwgirl
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my hubby's truck was doing that. dealer said it was the TPS, throttle position sensor and replaced it. The next time, they said it was bad gas and also told us to check the plugs.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:26 AM
Arcane
Rookie

On these new fangeled computer controled trucks it could be anything. But with a truck that old I would say it's either a timing issue or a carborator issue. Adjust the throtle screw (IF it has one). Also, it could be a clogged Air filter. Are you getting any Black smoke out the tail pipe?

Old 02-10-2004, 11:22 AM
RaM MaN

hey! i got an 89 too! they are fuel injected throttel body, my friend is a mechanic he works on my rig all the time, and i had the same problem, i will get around to asking him what it was an i will post a reply asap! nothing beats the old rams!!!!! expecially the 318's!

Old 02-10-2004, 10:50 PM
joesdodge

I forgot to mention that the problem isn't constant. It will be fine for a few weeks,then out of nowhere it will start to act up. I'm on my way out to pick up a TPS. Any other possible solutions?

Old 02-11-2004, 11:33 PM
joesdodge

It wasn't the TPS. When I disconnect the coolant temp. sensor the truck seems to idle alot better. It still pulsates a bit but it wont stall out. So i'm going to install a new coolant temp. sensor and see what happens. Weel I checked it and there was really no change. Im totally ouy of ideas. im going to pull the intake and see if there may be a problem with the gaskets. Besides that Im stumpped.[sm=smiley25.gif]

Old 02-16-2004, 09:53 PM
joesdodge

Can anyone help???

Quick Reply: driving problems