Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

How many of you change your own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 04:01 PM
goatslayerwp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many of you change your own oil?

I just wanted to let everyone know that not all quick lube workers are mindless punk *** kids. I take pride in my work and I know more about changing oil than almost everyone on this forum. When you are the only worker in a pit changing the oil on 80 vehicles, hitting every grease fitting, checking gear boxes and keeping your work clean on cars that ppl have mindlessly driven around all day then you can talk. I personally dont like getting burned and sometimes it is not avoidable, so you cant blame it on not knowing how to do your job. Any quick lube employee can tell you that. That job is not easy, so dont talk **** about a service that many ppl out there appreciate me providing them.

Old 02-29-2004, 10:55 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

goatslayerwp,

Which post from the previous page were you referring to that caused you go off and tell us not to talk @#$% about oil change employees?

Here is just one shining example why I skip "quick-lube" places:
http://www.nbc4.tv/automotive/2615014/detail.html

Last time I took one of my vehicles to "iffy Lube", they started it up without and oil filter. After realizing their mistake, they put on a new oil filter and sent me on my way. They didn't even tell me what happened. I drove for 5 minutes and the whole truck started smelling like smoke.

I took it back and had them clean my entire engine compartment and their consulation to me was a free oil change certificate.

I'm sure you take pride in your work, but I retain the right to be distrustful of certain "quick-lube" places marketing scams and shoddy work.

Here is the link to a discussion of numerous examples of incompetence:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...=004288#000000

Bill,

Old 03-01-2004, 03:05 AM
goatslayerwp

I've had bad experiences both times I took my vehicles to these quick lube places. I can do a better job than they can because I care about what I'm doing. <<quote from mopartodd>>

Remarks like that are what **** me off. Not every quick lube is bad just because you had bad experiences with the ones you went to. If you got a food poisoning at fast food chain in one city, it does not mean that you will get it in another. The quick lube that I work at is not a national chain, it is a locally owned and operated shop that I manage. People that judge quick lubes by other quick lubes shoddy work need to rethink their decisions. A national chain is normally not a good place to take your vehicle. For instance, our competition handed out over 20 w-2 forms. They only keep a normal 6 man crew. We use a 5 man crew and we have had the same crew for over a year. When you dont have to train newbies to do the job, their are less possibilities for **** ups.

Old 03-01-2004, 03:49 PM
dodgefreak
All Star

I have paid some one to change my oil ONCE in my life!!! and thats just cause it was in the dead of a Michigan winter with no garage!!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:15 AM
R3LzX

i have a 2006 Dodge cummins and was wondering.. Does it void your warranty in any way if you change the oil yourself?

Also do I really need a synthetic blend or a synthetic oil?

2006 4X4 Cummins 2500

Old 06-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no it doesnt, Ive been changeing my oil since I bought mine every 8-10K. infact Ive had over 30K trouble free miles.

all the fluids except the engine oil are synthetic. you dont need a synthetic oil for the engine, but if you spring for it you will tell a difference from what I'm told.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:52 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I change my own oil. In my Ram and the wife's VW Jetta. It sucks when the only place in town that has an oil filter is the stealership at $16 each (VW). At least I only have to change the VW every 10K miles.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:20 AM
gamagoat6x6

I give the company ram a once over after the local oil changers are done with it and to date they have missed grease fittings, left the air cleaner housing detached from the throttle body and left the oil filter loose and leaking.
NOBODY but me opens the hood on my personal V10 or my classic big block cars.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36447/98FF22A78F6842A3BF48D98D2CC80EE5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36447/E9198AF029F54D5CB06503FE055FE976.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-04-2006, 03:48 PM
R3LzX

Many thanks I am going to go all synthetic as I am putting 5000 a month on it. (i want to hit that 500,000 mark with this one)

Old 07-08-2006, 06:24 PM
varmintjcl
Amateur

I never let anyone else touch my trucks, especially for an oil change. Also its a good idea every once in a while to take a quart of your dirty oil down to the local Cat dealership, ie; Empire Machinery fluid lab & have them do a fluid analysis on the old oil. This test is very comprehensive & can warn you of a problem very early before it becomes serious.
Fluid Lab

Quick Reply: How many of you change your own oil?