Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Manual... Auto... Differance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 03:14 AM
dolce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual... Auto... Differance?

Originally Posted by Dodgegirl19

I have had the priviledge of driving a 94 Ram with a 5 speed manual, and of course, my truck is a 94 Ram with an Automatic trans. I LOVE my truck, but also love manuals...both trucks had the 5.9 L V8, but they are 'tricked out' differently, so it wasn't a good way to compare them. LOL!</P>

I miss my first...I had a 98 Pontiac Sunfire with a stick, that car was awesome... LOL! I thought I was a badd ***... I had a license plate that said 'BITCH' and on the rear window, Fear This Bith... LOL! Now that I have my truck, I'm much less discrete... LOL!</P>

What do you have? If an auto, do you miss having a stick shift?</P>

~Amanda</P>

P.S. Trying to make conversation people... let's start chatting... LOL!</P>
i just got rid of my 03 4.7 5 speed and got the the hemi auto and i gotta tell ya i miss my 5 speed just feels right

Old 04-13-2004, 04:02 AM
jedi_bobo
Default RE: Manual... Auto... Differance?

My '03 Ram is the auto cause i didnt feel like waitin for the extra month to get it installed...but i DO love driving stick...whenever i feel a need for speed, i just go to my uncles house and drive his ferrari 360 modena 6 spd thats a beast, but i still prefer my auto Hemi ram to that...i bet my ram is faster too

Old 04-13-2004, 09:20 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Having driving many manuals in the Air Force's "Dueces" and having a ball, was a lil sad that the truck is an auto. But when buying a 2 day less htan a year old used with 8500 miles 4X4 SLT for $19k, I compromised.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:59 PM
BleedDodge

My truck has a 3.9 with a 5 speed. I used to think the stick was so cool, but I don't care for it anymore. I got tired of rowing a truck down the street. It's not a racecar, so it shouldn't have a manual transmission in it. I'd rather an automatic. I'd never buy another manual truck unless it was a diesel, but I would buy a manual car.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:23 AM
Redhairedcwgirl
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, Man! I saw this post and just had to reply! Amanda, I 've got to tell the story about how I got my Q/C 5 speed. I was at the Chevrolet dealer in late '98 having tranny work done on my Z71 (AGAIN) and there she was, that Intense Blue '99 was across the street @ the Dodge dealer, just calling my name! So, after picking up the Chevy and crossing the street, I take a LOOONNNNNG look at big blue. I peek in the window and discover that OMG, it's a stick! I HAVE TO DRIVE THIS TRUCK!!!! the salesman asks do I know how and I tell him get in and buckle up, and he better hang on! So, all these years later, I still love to drive that manual and enjoy scaring people behind me in traffic. So, yes I love the 5 speed! yes, I give lessons, and I'm in Alabama, Dodgefreak! LOL

Old 04-14-2004, 12:42 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

After driving a Ford Ranger clone (Mazda B3000) for 5 years with a manual tranny, I was more than ready for a automatic, especially in a built-up area. However, after looking at the SRT-4, I changed my mind. The gearing on the car actually makes shifting fun, and seeing other cars get smaller in your rear view mirror as a result is great!!! Plus, YOU control the sound of the exhaust to a large extent. Auto's are fine for some, but for performance, you can't beat a stick (and a turbo)!!!! [sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 04-14-2004, 02:09 AM
plunked

Hello forum, new post-er
The sad day has come that i finally have to replace my 95 dakota sport, shrt bed 4x2 regular cab, 318 5 spd manual, 3.55.
Factory ordered this vehicle end of 94. Only options i had were AC, limited slip, and rear slider. Added my own tow bar later.
While the truck was never really sport-car fast, it was definitely quick.
I now have 197,000 miles on this truck. Original clutch, never adjusted or touched, never any trans problems of any sort. I think i may have done the manual trans service at jiffy lube twice at most, is the only maintenace ive done to the trans. I would est. 50-60% of my miles came towing a 2000lb. + fishing boat. Several 4thousand mile plus road trips. Im sure many here have done better, but, im quite impressed with what my $13,9and change(total tax included price) has gotten me.(I sure am gonna miss that little thing).
I no longer feel too safe hooking up the boat and driving 600 miles, so its time to get a new truck. (and besides as of the last week, it needs water in the radiator every few days). Not in the mood to dump any cash into it at this point.
When looking to get a new vehicle, i test drove a 2003 ram 1500 reg cab 4x2 hemi. i was very impressed. decided that was my next truck. (not everything i want, would of liked 4x4, and a q-cab, but, i really wanted to be closer to $20,000 than $30,000, and this vehicle will do everything i really need it to do, and it looks cool, and its quick).
My biggest dissapointment, however, was the inability to get the 5.7 hemi with a manual trans. Was told id have to go up to a 2500 with a long bed. My heart said yes, but common practicallity (and downtown chicago parking lots) said no. So i have ordered the 1500 with the hemi and auto 5 speed. Im a very apprehensive about the reliabilty of an auto trans. And truly wishing i didnt have to make the switch. I really liked my manual trans in my Rat Box dakota. I will say though, auto is a definite plus on the launch ramp. my parking brake gave out years ago. never fixed it. On a real steep ramp, i would have to chuck the wheels, pray, and get it done real fast before the wheels would start rolling , when loading, unloading a boat. Wont miss that procedure a bit.
My dakota really is a s***box in many ways(radio quit, resistor panels always went bad, very,very noisy driveline and many more issues), but the thing always ran, and ran well. Never a peep of trouble from the trans, and very occasional (every few years maybe) some sort of engine cooling issue. 2 water pumps, and 1 radiator is all i ever did to this truck. i really am gonna miss this vehicle.
Looking forward to my new ram and crossing my fingers about the auto trans.
Sorry for the long post, just a sentimental truck owner.
plunked
sorry

Old 04-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Americanflyer

Actually, I went for the best of both worlds.. I hate the way my Hemi auto trans shifts...I installed a Hurst Pro-matic Ratchet floor shifter for trucks, mounted an OD button to the handle...now I can just throw her in Drive for normal cruising, or bring it through the gears with the floor shifter. I removed the column shifter and just used the OD wiring from the original. Bringing it through the gears manually is way better than letting the trans shift when it feels like it, if you're looking for more power off the line. HUGE off the line inprovement..I can run my gears up MUCH longer now..doesn't bog down on shifts anymore..besides, it just looks cool. Just can't do the clutch power shift thing like you could with a real manual, but best 300 bucks I've spent on this truck so far...

Old 04-15-2004, 04:41 AM
Homee2010
Rookie

Just think how the HEMI would be with a stick???
Before I got married, the fiance and I had a '67 MGB ragtop. That car was the most fun ride I ever had. Of course, that was when it was running...
Homee

Old 04-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Redhairedcwgirl
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya know, it's really ironic that I just posted about my beloved manual transmission the other day...because my clutch slave cylinder went out as I was on my way home from work today!! Well, the truck has 80+k on it, and it's the factory one,so... overall,it's still much more reliable, a lot less maintenance, and a good excuse to keep people from borrowing your truck! It's ordered, we'll fix in a few minutes on Saturday!

P.S. Organ Donor is permanently on my Drivers' License! I agree 100%

Quick Reply: Manual... Auto... Differance?