Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

99 Dodge Ram Has no Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 AM
DodgeMan23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Dodge Ram Has no Power

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext cab 4X4. it has the 5.2 in it. I have an air raid intake system installed on it(came with the truck) it has 35" tires on 15" rims. I thought and was told that my Converter was clofgged up so I replaced it with a megaflow cat today. Still has no power. I have this truck floored going up a hill and it dont want to move at all. I have a 6X12 enclosed trailer(for atv racing) and it hardly wants to pull that. This truck has no power at all. Is it because of the big tires? My Transmisson has been leaking for some time now. I have replaced the Rear Pinion Sea,l Rear Transmission Seal, The Inner Rear End seal and the Shift Seal. Some have to do with the tranny some dont. I also just replaces the Tranny pan installed new bolts and new seal and it still leaks. Could wherever it is leaking from possibly be my loss of power? I have tried getting rid of this truck and trading it in but im going to loose so much money doing it. I owe $15,000 on it because I had some Neg. Equ. On the last trade in. I have no choice but to keep this truck and keep on sinking more and more money into it. Would someone please help me because all the tranny shops around here dont know Squat. There Dumb. If you would like to callme if it would be easier to help me my cell # is 330-447-1369. Any help would be greatly appriated. Thank You much...

Old 08-02-2005, 01:59 AM
predator
Default RE: 99 Dodge Ram Has no Power

Sorry about your truck i really dont know whats wrong with it.I would still try to trade it if you can, i had a 99 and owed about 11,000 on it and the dealer where i traded for my 2002 paid off my other truck no roll over at all,my point is if you have alright credit and they are willing to do there job and if the dealers in your area want to sell they will do it.[sm=hiya.gif]

Old 08-02-2005, 02:18 AM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

This site rocks. You might find something in here.

http://dodgeram.info/

In the meantime here's what I think.

First, make sure you are actually leaking trans fluid. You may just have a bad torque converter and that could be leaking.

OR

Make sure the tranry fluid is up and go for a spin. Listen to see if your trans steps through all the shifts up and down. It is possible that it is geting hung up in one gear or another and not stepping all the way down to first thus you are always starting out in second. This combined with the tires might make the computer thing it is always pulling a load all the time, but the trans won't step down to get enough umph. This scenario may sound bizarre, but sounds no more bizarre than you not finding the answer after all your efforts.
The fact that it seems you have lost a lot of fluid can mean that you or the preveious owner has burnt the trans in some way.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as not having any power, I would bet your problem is those tires.

Try to determine whether or not you still have the stock gears (3.55). I bet you do.
3.55's + 35" tire = no power. Those tires are much to big for the stock gear ratio. Here is a handy little chart that shows what gear you should be close to for various tire sizes.

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

Put in some 4.56 gears, and you will be back in the power band nicely.

Old 08-06-2005, 05:27 AM
bentwings

[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Nice looking truck.................got the wrong motor.....too many cylinders. YA need a Dodge Cummins Turbo diesel. With old fashioned IBS (I block 6) and auto. If it doesn't go fast it will at least be able to cause an eclipse with a cloud of soot. haha

[IMG]local://upfiles/19421/08F6EF7D534040FC8194B5D46FBB502E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: 99 Dodge Ram Has no Power