Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Towing 3.55 vs. 3.92

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 04:06 AM
excelent3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing 3.55 vs. 3.92

I will be buying a new Hemi very soon. I would like some real experience feedback from owners who tow on a regular basis. I will be towing about 50 times per year, average weight around 4-5,000 but occasionally up to 7,000 lbs. As most of my towing is concentrated in the summer months, there will be plenty of down time in the off months. I a favoring the 3.55 rear end gear ratio, because I will not be pushing the GVWR often, and I would like to (hopefully) get somewhat better mileage when not towing.

Two questions:

1) Is my assessment correct that the 3.55 will comfortably handle the task?
2) Would there be any real difference in fuel economy given the same towing conditions with 3.55 vs 3.92?

If the difference is negligable, I would opt for the 3:92 gear ratio and forget it.

Thanks in advance.........

Old 03-20-2004, 04:49 AM
5SPDSLT
Rookie
Default RE: Towing 3.55 vs. 3.92

In my opinion I would get the 3.55 gear. On flat road it will not be a problem. On hills just take it out of overdrive. The engine is up to the task and the transmission should not give any problems. Now if you tow in the 7K-8K range all of the time then I would go with the 3.92.

Also, the very first modification you should make is a large transmission cooler. I am not sure if Dodge has one or not but if it doesn't then get one. And when the engine "breaks in" synthetic motor oil and gear lube in the axle are a must. I use Amsoil in my Ram but I have used Mobil 1 in the past as well as presently in my girlfriends '01 Diamante. They are both excelent oils.

Good luck!!!!!!

Eric

Old 03-20-2004, 04:26 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately the 3.92s. The 3.55 are a bad combo with the Hemi because it makes is peak horsepower at higher rpms. The 3.55s will cause the truck to struggle when towing. The 3.92s will help the truck stay in the right rpms (this actually helps mileage because you don't have to stomp on it the gas to pick up your rpms. The increase in RPMs from 3.55s to 3.92s is only around 300 rpms. Now 3.55s to 4.10s is a big difference around 700 to 800 rpms if I recall correctly. 3.92s wont hurt your mileage more than a few percent.

I also concur on the benefits of synthetic oil and gear lube. I tow a 2 horse trailer and my Ram runs much cooler with synthetic lubricants. Kale (syntheticsman) and myself have picked up 1 to 2 mpg using Amsoil which would make up for any mileage reduction using 3.92s.

My 5.9 Ram has 3.92s and I actually would have preferred 4.10s . Since this truck is rarely driven (except for towing, and hauling heavy stuff), 4.10s qould have been a better option.

Bill,

Old 03-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Vader
Champion

^^Bill, that is great info, Thanks. I have a question, why would Dodge include a towing package on my Ram with 3.55 gears ? If what you said is true (I am in no way doubting it is) then wouldn't the engineers at DOdge only have 3.92's available with towing package. Thanks Bill.

Old 03-20-2004, 04:50 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vader,

I think their tow package has more to do with a larger cooling system (Radiator and tranny). I don't keep up with which options come in the different packages but I do know that my Ram had the towing package and it had a beefed-up radiator as well as tranny cooler.

I'm not sure why the tow package does not come with 3.92s. The pre-02 1500 Rams that had the "sport" package came with taller suspension, bigger tires, and 4.10 gearing.

Bill,

Old 03-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Vader
Champion

Thanks Bill, I rated your your previous post. Excellent info.

Old 03-20-2004, 06:42 PM
excelent3

Eric and Bill,

Freat input guys! I use a Valvoline sythetic/blend in my Winnebago Chietain 454. I started using it after the motor was well broken in at 20k. The noticeble changes were instantaneous, as the engine ran so much quieter...I plan on going pure synthetic from here on out, including the Hemi...

Is not the transmission cooler standard in the Hemi 5.9> I specifically asked this question to every salesperson I talked to and the response was "yes" by every one........

If not I would definitely add the transmission cooler......Geeze, even my KIA Sedona van came standard with a trani cooler!

EX3

Old 03-21-2004, 12:05 AM
HEMIDAZE

I bought my HEMI about six months ago and towed with it once so far. I got the 3.92s and 20 inch wheels. The truck comes with a tranny cooler. Get the 3.92s. Even with them it won't handle a slight grade in OD. Dodge also states that the rear differential has to use 75w140 full synthetic oil and change it every 15000 miles. If you dont you may have to eat a warranty breakdown for not using the correct oil. The tow package comes with a hitch and a 7 pin plug through the bumper next to the license plate. I think it also comes with the 3.92s. I had one problem when I towed my 6000 lb camper on I-75 in ky. When I crested a hill in a lower gear it would not upshift unless you let off the gas. I took it to the dealer and they flashed an update on the tranny but I haven't towed since then. I will probably be going back to ky sometime in the middle of april and see if it fixed it.

Old 03-21-2004, 03:43 AM
Palm
Professional

I am driving my 3rd Dodge truck and I use it for recreational towing quite often. I recently upgraded to the 04 Hemi described in my signature.

A vehicle equipped with the towing package comes with the 7 pin plug and special harness that allows for electric brake connection. It also includes the class IV receiver and 700 ampere battery. All Hemi equipped trucks come with transmission oil cooling and, although it is not stated on the sticker, the towing package also includes a larger than standard cooler. The radiator remains the same size.

As for gear ratios, as someone has already stated, the 3:92 is better for towing, although the towing package is available with the 3:55 which would produce slighty higher gas mileage, but only while not towing. The reason they offer both is for the person that only tows light loads on an infrequent basis. It just depends upon how much weight you plan on towing and how frequently you do so. The 3:55 would be great for the person that tows light loads every once in a while. I have owned both, and frankly I think the difference in mileage is negligible.

Other considerations, if you are optimizing for towing, are to stay away from the 20" tires (something that I was unable to do because of other selection reasons) as they will take away from your towing ability. It is, or was for me, hard to find a vehicle at any dealer with the 3:92 gearing and the 17" wheels. For some reason most of the ones I saw that had 3:92 gearing also had the 20" wheels with the anti-spin rear axle. Perhaps that would not be the case where you live. You might also want to opt for the towing mirrors which I have found to be a great advantage.

On certain, older, Dodge vehicles, they recommended changing the rear axle oil to a synthetic if you used it for towing. On the new ones all axles come from the factory towing equipped. On 1500 models the axle already has synthetic oil (75W-140) and if it is anti-spin, it also has a special "anti-spin" additive that is mandatory. The 2500/3500 models have synthetic 75W-90 and if they are limited-slip they do not require this additive. All manual shift trannys also have synthetic oil.

I hope some of this is helpful to you in choosing your Hemi and here's wishing you happy towing.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:24 AM
excelent3

Palm,

Thanks for your input, it really solidifies my choices.... As I will be towing more often around the 5-7000 range often, the 3.92 will be the choice. I also opted for the 17" alluminum alloy wheels....You raise and interesting challenge regarding the wheels, I have not found that to be a probelm here in southern Wi. I will get real serious this week about finding what I am after....with all the Hemis on the lots out there, it should not be a problem.

Quick Reply: Towing 3.55 vs. 3.92