Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Just how powerful is that computer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 12:54 AM
BigDave
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just how powerful is that computer?

I've read a number comments that id people make mods to their trucks they only would be negated by the computer, or how the computer adapts to your driving habits. Well something interesting happened to me last night.

I was filling out my warranty survey for my Corsa exhaust until I reached the question "How does your Corsa Performance exhaust sound." I thought about it, and it seemed that the exhaust has gotten quieter recently which seemed to coincide to my improving gas mileage. I guess, I'm not flooring the throttle as much as before. So I decided to take the truck on a drive to really see how it sounds. I drove for a few miles to warm up the engine and tires and came to stop. Since, I knew I couldn't keep traction with the rear tires if floored the truck, heck I would chirp the tires even with a halfway aggressive launch, I would test the truck to see if the catbacks stole any of my low-end torque as had been mentioned on this site. I floored my truck, and nothing, no tire spin, no chirp, just some straight forward acceleration. Hmm, that's annoying, I've castrated my Ram. I drove a little bit longer, and thought maybe I'd try that again. Launch, and a chirp from the right side. Okay that's a little better. I start to tool done the road and notice that the tranny isn't upshifting so much. Okay, maybe something's different. So another launch, and the right gives a little spin and the left tire chirps. Hey, I think I'm onto something here. I go another 5 miles down the road and try one more time. Launch, and both those tires gave a good spin before they get a hold of the road. The Ram has found its *****.

I thought the computer adjusted shift points and torque management over a much longer period of time, but sure seems to me that it was responding to my aggressive driving pretty darn quick.

Old 03-22-2004, 01:09 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Just how powerful is that computer?

I just WISH I KNEW how powerful the Dodge computers were...on the SRT-4, they hold the engine performance down until they sense you are past your "break in" period and then you get "full power"...imagine what the future holds.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:34 AM
bearcat74
Professional

I know the feeling, After driving 600miles to my folks house in So-Cal I noticed that I had to get really aggressive to get my shift points back to theyre respectable high points. However I dont mind the pick up in the mileage from a little granny behind the wheel syndrome. You are right it does take a while for the computer to slack off, but it sure does go back to eat the wallet in a damn hurry. Heres to smoking burnies and long traction trails thought out our stomping grounds.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:46 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Amen brother, amen!!!!!
[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-23-2004, 01:06 AM
gpzjack
Veteran

I added a flowmaster and a air raid cai to my truck early on and it didn't seem much different but i just passed 1500 miles and its really starting to wake up. Today i could really feel a power difference for some reason.

Old 03-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Ruslt
Rookie

So if I get what you all are saying is that the trucks computer learns the way you drive. I have a new truck and I baby it. On rare occasion Ive tried to spin the tires and no luck could this be because I only have 1000 miles on the truck? Is their a break in period programmed into the rams computer? Mine is the 4.7l. If I start driving aggressivly will the truck perform better aka Smoke the tires?

Quick Reply: Just how powerful is that computer?