Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

New guy needs a bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 01:53 PM
sreitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy needs a bedliner

Just took delivery of an 04 quad cab 4x4 and I need a spray in bed liner. Line x, super liner, rhino. theres a lot of choices....are they really all that different?

Any recomendations?

Old 03-30-2004, 02:14 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New guy needs a bedliner

I had the Line-x in my dakota. It was OK, but you could tell it added a bunch of weight to the truck. Too, the spray-on liners don't provide any additional stuctural rigidity to the bed like a drop-in liner does. I managed to dent the bed on the old truck with some rip-rap stone. The spray-on definitely protects the bed from rust though, and comes in different colors. There are advantages to each. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2004, 02:38 PM
viperbsd

I have used Line-X in all three of my trucks and I just had it sprayed into my new 04 Ram and after doing much research and from personal experience I would go with the Line-X Plus it looks a lot better than the Rhino. I used a drop in liner in my first truck and would never make that mistake again. Anyway good luck.

Jeff B.

Old 03-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Aftrshck
Veteran

I want to get the spray in liner, but not until I find a box so I can replace mine...

Old 03-30-2004, 03:03 PM
DakMan6704
Captain

I am also looking for a bed liner for when my new Dakota comes in. I was looking for a compare/contrast between Line-X and Rhino. Mopartodd, what do you mean by structural support? the drop in liners offer no actual Rigidity...I am assuming that you are talking about acute impact resistance. I have been considering both, only if i get a free drop in from dodge since the drop in does offer a 'slipperier' surface in loading and unloading. Well, any help would be nice...Thanks guys....

Old 03-30-2004, 03:49 PM
sreitz

Im perplexed about this liner adding weight to the truck. I calculate the area of the bed to be 10761 square inches, thats the bed and all four sides. multiply that by .125 for 1/8 inch thickness and you get 1345 cubic inches of material. 1345 cubed inches is just under 6 gallons of the spray they use. I don't know how much a gallon of it would weigh, but water weighs 8.3 lbs a gallon. Even if this stuff has twice the density of water, it would still add less then one hundred pounds to the the truck. Thats less then a passenger and I cant tell the difference between empty and a truck with my girlfriend in it.

Has anyone else noticed differences in wieght after having a liner installed?

Old 03-30-2004, 07:04 PM
mikebol
Veteran

I just had Line-X put in my 04 Dodge QC Hemi and I really like it.

Here is what I found in researching this...

The Line-X material is a harder material and is less likely to be torn by a shovel, firewood or other abrasive surface. Likewise, since the material is hard, if you drop something in your bed, it won't absorb any energy and you'll probably end up denting your bed. Also, Line-X seems to be slippery (my opinion) when wet even though it has a rough surface texture. What I like most about the Line-X product is that it is installed HOT and would seem to bond to the bed better.

Rhino is a softer product and should be more absorbant to dropped items. Not as much so as a drop in liner but probably a litter better than Line-X. Other owners tell me it isn't quite as slippery when wet (I took their word for it). But since this is a softer product, I was afraid I'd tear it since I use my truck for hauling dirt, mulch, firewood and so on. Also, Rhino is installed cold; I just don't see how it could bond well with the truck bed but I'm not a chemist\scientist.

A drop in liner will absorb a LOT of shock and I doubt you could ever dent your bed. However, these things vibrate and wear the paint off the bed of your truck. Now, since most truck beds are built with galvanized steel, the bed shouldn't rust but I certainly can't promise you that. The thing I like least about after market drop in liners is that most go in OVER your tie down hooks or generally make it difficult to use the factory hooks.

Hope that helps, just my 2 cents.

Mike

Old 03-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Aftrshck
Veteran

thanks for that run down...that was defenitely informative....however, I have been looking at the do it yourself type of spray in liners...from what I have been able to decipher...its the same material as rhino...ALMOST...still investigating...

Old 03-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Connect

Plastic drops ins are pos and will warp in a few years and will scratch the bed. Rhino linig i like the best if you have someone put it in for you. Rubbermats are more hassle then anything never buy one.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:11 PM
Aftrshck
Veteran

I have the same equipment as they do for the spray in....and I used to put on the anti-rust sprays on the under carriages of vehicles....I look forward to getting something done soon...as far as the mat...I have one in mine and it is not too bad....I can take it out and wash out the bed when I need to, its not slippery, and it stops the dents for the most part on the floor of the box.

Quick Reply: New guy needs a bedliner