Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

K&N FIPK and other CAI - noise issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 01:53 AM
Randy_W
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N FIPK and other CAI - noise issue

I can't believe this many people didn't know to expect a sound increase when going to a low restriction air cleaner!

Old 04-19-2004, 01:11 PM
uhoh
Rookie

First, please read the entire thread before making statements about how you can't believe....the filter.... It is not the filter that is making the noise. I have run K&N systems as well as others and noticed an increase in noise at the filter but not a harmonic resonation that is so loud and harsh the dash rattles. This noise is not noticeable OF COURSE at idle, no load, or coasting. It is only noticeable when the load on the system is great enough to require down shifting, increased throttle input, or WOT.

Like I said before the resonator box may be the answer. I am not going to experiment with it until I get a little better base established in the MPG arena. I am close though. I took a spin to the mountains yesterday to check on our base camp operations and have a little breakfast. The trip was 120 miles total and the truck got 18 mpg. I drove somewhat conservatively (5-10 over the posted) and because of the relaxed and smooth pace the sound issue was very minimal.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:36 PM
B][GT
Professional

Now.. ive got to ask.. whne you guys say.. noticible.. are we talking a shreeking whine/howl.. when in WOT, ( mine go pedal never comes off the floor ). Ive had loud trucks before.. im just curious becuz some of the peopl in hear just scream that they love theyre exhaust when it rattles the cars on the street next to them and set off alarms.. and .. from some of the sound clips ive heard.. they make me want to get sick.. hoRRid noise box's! BUt thats my opinion.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:52 PM
gotsnow?

I've had my K&N 77 series intake on for a couple of days, and i love the increased throttle responce, and seat of the pants "power" boost. As far as noise goes, it's about what i expected.When you put your boot into it there is a hell of alot of difference between the CAI and stock! Idle, and steady throttle driving are about the same, but pass the granny infront of you and LOOK OUT! It will really turn heads. I love it personally! Now even more people ask if "it's got a Hemi?" and i have to say "no, the 4.7". If you want to sound stock I'd say don't get the K&N 77 series, but I don't have any experience w/other manufacturers products. There must be something!
As far as mileage goes, the jury is still out. I believe the system would produce improvements, but i think i'll end up driving differently (because i like that sound) and negate any improvements!

Old 04-20-2004, 10:40 PM
JC
Professional

I got a $3,000 sound meter at work.. I'll have the highway guys do some tests on the truck before and after i put my CAI on... I'll let you guys know.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:53 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

A dyno test would be nice too, let you get the best balance between sound, power, and mpg...[sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 04-20-2004, 10:55 PM
JC
Professional

lol... Don't have that stuff at work..=-P

Old 04-20-2004, 10:57 PM
MyRamNeedsHelp

I just got my k&n fipk today.....tell you all how it sounds later.
How come i see most of you have the 77 series but wen i asked around the difference between the 77 FIPk and the Aircharger there was not much different. Also anyone out there with a Manual transmission? I have it and wondered if you have sloppy shifts.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:21 PM
gotsnow?

My choice of 77 over fipk was very unscientific; the fipk pipe was black plastic (from what i saw shopping on-line), the 77 came in polished chrome, and i figured i'd get a little chrome under the hood!!!
I've read in a different thread that the plastic is better at keeping the cold air cold... oh well... $271 later i guess i'm committed!For what it's worth , it looks sweet sitting there!

P.S. After you take off the factory intake, also remove the stock mounts from the engine!! It cleans things up a bit!!One on top, and one bolted with the alternator.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:28 PM
JC
Professional

Have any pics of your install? =-)

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK and other CAI - noise issue