Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

K&N FIPK and other CAI - noise issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 09:45 PM
uhoh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N FIPK and other CAI - noise issue

A buddy and I purhcased two units, one for my hemi and one for his 4.7. The unit fits well, looks good, and appears to be made and designed with quality in mind. NICE. He installed it on his 4.7 and called me immediately afterward and said hold on a minute better check mine out first!

It is STUPID on the noise level. The unbelievable noise this thing puts out under acceleration is beyond acceptable. Anyone else have this problem? I am thinking of wrapping the tube or boxing in the top portion of the air tray. Just stupid.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:52 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: K&N FIPK and other CAI - noise issue

The Air hat attached to the throttle body is a Helmholtz resonator tuned 180 degrees to the normal intake pulsations. They are what cancel out the noise you now here with your FIPK.

Read this: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...;f=15;t=000175

Bill,

Old 04-06-2004, 10:00 PM
gpzjack
Veteran

I have the air raid unit and have little or no increase in noise. I just have the filter and box unit not the pipe system

Old 04-07-2004, 01:28 AM
lawntycoon
Professional

Just my observation......All CAI's make a throaty noise (air is being pulled in through the throttle body. The more insulation on the CAI the less "noise". I have the AIR RAM>>> and it is no different than any as far as the noise goes, however it is insulated and 4" ID and may be slightly quieter....(only my observation)

Old 04-09-2004, 01:06 PM
uhoh
Rookie

Installed the system on my hemi last night. It is horribly loud!

From 0-60 the system shaved off 6 tenths on average. I ran 8 test runs with the stock system and pulled average times of 8.8 seconds. I ran 5 after the install and pulled an 8.2 average. 60-80 time results were similar.

Fuel mileage change is not known yet but I did get 17 mpg driving to work. Mix of in town to inconsistent freeway speeds. That is the best mileage by far I have seen on this hog. The last tank netted a 13 mpg average which was town and country driving.

On the noise issue. The reason this system is stupidly loud is due the elimination of the resonator box. This is the box that indicates the engine size on it and attaches to the throttle body. I will probably do another experiment that involves using the k&N hardware except for the tube. I am thinking I can put the resonator back on, make another tube that runs to the filter and shroud, and keep most of the performance gain.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:59 PM
uhoh
Rookie

I have had a chance to put a few miles on the new system and so has my buddy. His 4.7 is getting the best mileage EVER at 15.3 average for our area. I have been getting right at 14 in town and country. So far the best ever has been 12.8 with some freeway mixed in. So I am expecting to see 1.5 mpg increase in the same routes I have been driving to and from work and to and from our farm. Currently it is sitting on 14.3 with some freeway left to drive home so the mileage will get better 14.5 ish.

I did pull my 24ft travel trailer the other day as well. I was surprised that the hemi had the power to pull the trailer in OD at 55. My ford would do it well but until I added the CAI to the hemi it would shift down to 3rd.

So all in all the truck went from getting 8 mpg in town with 9 mpg average to 11 mpg average with the TCM mod to 14 with the CAI and TCM. Finall result= 6 mpg increase in the last 1500 miles. I wonder if something is getting ready to break!

Old 04-14-2004, 09:26 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Can you refresh my memory what the TCM mod is? I am having a brain-fart and cant think what it is.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:28 AM
BigDave
Professional

I have a CAI, I'm afraid to ask: What noise? My exhaust has woken up a bit, but I'm not noticing anything from the front half of my truck.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Redhawk996
Rookie

I just put a Volant CAI on my 4.7 ('02 QC SB). It made a significant difference in off-the-line acceleration and helped out thru the RPM range. But, I took a trip up to Northern Calif. this week and when my foot was on the throttle, the CAI howled so bad I couldn't carry on a conversation. I have some ideas that I'm gonna try to quiet the noise down,but this was an unexpected side affect of the intake add-on.[:'(]

Old 04-15-2004, 01:55 PM
CBR310

I just bought the K&N CAI also. I cant really hear it unless i listen for it even on higway speeds. Definatly notice better performance and less downshifting in my auto.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK and other CAI - noise issue